NetbookHP mini 110-3500 runs VERY slow. (11266 Views)
Tutor
rubymist
Message 1 of 24 (11,266 Views)

NetbookHP mini 110-3500 runs VERY slow.

[ Edited ]

Some time ago I purchased the HP Netbooks 110-3500. So VERY disappointed in it. Its so slow that it sits around unused because I find it too slow to use. I did purchase it at the low end of costs, but still I'd expect it to run decently. I generally would use this size computer for internet usage and email, as its nice and light and compact to take with me where ever I go. 

But sadly, I have hardly used it at all. I will most likely have to resort to calling HP. I am tired of spending so much time with computer companies overseas with my computer problems. 

Any suggestions?  I had seen many netbooks work very well and thought at least internet and email would work well on this brand. If HP made this to be a real cheapy why bother if it doesn't run well. This has Win7 Starter. Intel Atom CPU N455@1.66ghz; 1gig RAM; 32bit OS. 

Thanks for any help. 

[Personal Information Removed]

Thx!

Top Student
force
Message 2 of 24 (11,254 Views)

Re: NetbookHP mini 110-3500 runs VERY slow.

Depends what you consider as slow?

My wife had the same netbook like yours with Windows XP 32bit and I can confirm that her netbook wasn't the fastest.

Upgrading the System-Memory (RAM) to 2GB (app. 20-30 US$) would help a little bit but you shouldn't expect too much. Seems that the built-in Harddisk (5400 RPM) is the bottleneck and then combined with the Intel Atom CPU (which is not an High-End CPU) you get an average performance netbook. Replacing the built in Harddisk with an SSD (Solid State Drive) would help here a lot. Even the slowest SSD is faster than the built in HDD.

One last important thing: Remember to create the Recovery DVD before doing any changes to your netbook

Hope this helps somehow

cheers

force

Tutor
rubymist
Message 3 of 24 (11,251 Views)

Thanks, Force, for your response. I had read that Atom is not a very good Processor. I just totally missed that as part of this type of computer when reading up on it, otherwise I probably would have waited and invested in a faster running netbook. I might consult my local computer store and see what they suggest, if it won't cost me an arm and a leg. 

I am just VERY disappointed. If HP (or ANY computer manufacturer) KNOWS they are selling a super sluggish, almost good for nothing unit, they should simply not offer that style. I thought the inexpensive price generally meant not as much HD space and some programs not installed on the netbook versus a laptop or PC. I really didn't think the cheap price meant cheap unit. 

Top Student
force
Message 4 of 24 (11,250 Views)

You are welcome rubymist :smileyhappy:

If you intend to get something faster then you will need to spend something like 300-400US$ to get something decent. As I wrote in my previous post upgrading to 2GB RAM and replacing the HDD with SSD would help

cheers

force

Tutor
rubymist
Message 5 of 24 (11,248 Views)

I would, generally, had wanted this netbook for internet and facebook games. Also reading my webmail. But even WORD comes up slow. Just in general EVERYTHING is lagging. 

Oh....and I just remembered something else....after it being off for months, I did start it and try again, and when I gave up and shut it down, it had 6 updates to do. It said NOT to shut it down until the updates were completed. So I set it to the side, went about my evening, came back after a couple hours and it wasn't even done with Update 1. I said to myself this is reduiculous, but ok...I kept it on ALL NIGHT and after another 7 hours, it had only got to Update 3. After another almost 3/4 of a day it finished finally.   

Oh...and NOW it says Configuring Windows Updates 24%. Whatever that means. 

My laptop doesn't do that and if I have updates its usually just minutes to complete. 

I do appreciate your responses. Like you said, I will check on the changes to the hardware and see how it goes. 

Top Student
force
Message 6 of 24 (11,244 Views)

[ Edited ]

I remember that doing Windows Updates takes veeeeery long. That's why I turned the Windows Updates off.

IMO if a system works fine then it is not needed to update (and spend/waste) a lot of time. Only if some critical updates are released by Microsoft then I install them. I'm doing this for years on my other PC's as well and had no issues.

TBH I have the impression that somehow maybe your HDD is making trouble. Testwise You should take a look at youtube, there are several mini 110 videos and compare if the Windows booting takes app. the same time like on your netbook.

You should also check this website dedicated to hp/compaq mini's: http://myhpmini.com 

EDIT: "Oh...and NOW it says Configuring Windows Updates 24%. Whatever that means." <--  that is normal Windows behaviour

Tutor
rubymist
Message 7 of 24 (11,239 Views)

Should I set up IE9?  I keep getting a box wanting me to update to IE9. On my laptop which is a Dell, the tech got me going on CHROME which works like gem on my Dell Laptop. I did put Chrome on the netbook but seems slow but of course it can all be due to the netbook, in general, slow. 

I will turn off Updates. I think thats how I have it on my laptop anyway, also. 

Thx again. I do very much appreciate your idea's and time you take to respond. 

Top Student
force
Message 8 of 24 (11,238 Views)

No probs :smileyhappy: I'm glad if I can help you

I see no problem with IE9. I normally use Firefox and it works fine. Safari or Chrome should also do the job flawless...

Tutor
rubymist
Message 9 of 24 (11,236 Views)

If I am able to get the netbook going faster with your suggestions (and probably asking my local computer store) I will definitely let you know. 

Right now am running a WEBROOT scan tha takes literally seconds on my laptop and its 20 minutes so far on the netbook. I've got my netbook next to me while on my laptop just to tinker with it (netbook) for a while. 

Its just an ALL AROUND slow computer. Don't know why. Its such a cute little unit. I just should have checked it out better. 

I COULD call HP but their service is overseas and I find it EXTREMELY hard to understand tech support. 

Top Student
force
Message 10 of 24 (11,235 Views)

Well it's no surprise that you don't understand the HP Support. When calling them you land in India and most of the call-center agents  have such an accent which most of the people don't understand them - including myself.

BTW: I bought my wife another netbook - ASUS PX101. No big difference to the mini..but with Ubuntu it the Asus (1GB RAM/8GB SSD) works in an acceptable speed.
BTW: I think that I messed up my wife's mini few days ago while flashing a custom BIOS version (duh!!!), because I was to impatient to wait for the HP/Compaq Recovery DVD's. So now I'm looking for a working&cheap 110c mainboard in Germany...GRRRRRRRRRR

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation