Question

Top Student
HPlaptopFan
Message 1 of 8 (493 Views)

New dv6 random freezes

Hi! I'v bought HP dv6b66ew laptop just one month ago. It's a i7 2670qm with 6770m video on windows 7 home premium x64. It's my 3rd hp laptop, and it's gr8, but...! It started to random freeze on the 2nd day i'v bought it. It can freeze while i'm working in ms office, internet browsing , playing games, it can freeze while doing nothing, several times it happened while windows was loading. I can't do anything while it is frozen, input devices don't work, picture and sound are frozen, only holding shutdown button can restart it. It can freeze 3 times per day and it can work without freezes for 2-3 days. What i'v tried so far: 1. Downloaded new drivers myself. 2. Downloaded program that updated my drivers. 3. Checked event logs. 4. Checked ram and hdd. 5. Reinstalled windows. 6. I'v let windows to download all updates and drivers, then installed drivers from hp.com 7. Installed different windows versions with sp1 and all updated. 8. I'v bought 4 gb ram more and replaced it with those 4gb that was in laptop. 9. Tried not to use any usb devices. It didn't help, laptop continues to random freeze... 10. Now i'm working without battery, maybe it will help, but i don't think so( I don't know what to do, the next is to change hdd. Worst thing is that several times i'v lost my work progress coz of that, and had to start all over again. I'v always recommended everyone to buy hp laptops, but now my own not very cheep laptop isn't working well... Hope to get some help or advices. Don't rly want to send it to repair, coz i need a laptop 7 days in a week. Thank you.
Top Student
HPlaptopFan
Message 2 of 8 (458 Views)

Re: New dv6 random freezes

Cmon, isn't it hp support forum? Still no answer?

Removing the battery didn't help, laptop still freezes time to time.

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 3 of 8 (453 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a graphical card or drivers' issue. You need to include the graphic's card model and all of your computer's factory specs, screen, cpu, OS, in lineup including the version of CCC, if Catalyst Control Center is installed, and its current drivers. Maybe then you will get proper help. For examlpe:

The central processor unit, or CPU, is the brain of your notebook. Learn More
CPU

2.0GHz Intel Quad Core i7-2630QM Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

The amount of memory our reviewed configuration comes with. Learn More
RAM

8GB

The maximum amount of memory this notebook supports. Learn More
RAM Upgradable to

Amount of data your storage drive can hold. Learn More
Hard Drive Size

Dual 660GB

The rotation speed of a mechanical hard drive. Learn More
Hard Drive Speed

7,200rpm

Your notebook’s storage drive (hard drive or solid state drive) holds your operating system, your programs, and your data. Learn More
Hard Drive Type

SATA Hard Drive + mSATA SSD

Your notebook display is the primary viewing device for your laptop computer. Learn More
Display Size

The number of pxiels (wxh) displayed on your screen at once. Learn More
Native Resolution

1600x900

An optical drive allows you to play or record to DVDs, CDs, or Blu-ray discs. Learn More
Optical Drive

DVD+/-RW/+R DL

The speed of the optical drive. Learn More
Optical Drive Speed

8X

Graphics chips are responsible for processing all images sent to your computer’s display. Learn More
Graphics Card

Radeon HD 6770M, Intel HD graphics

The amount of memory available for graphics processing. Learn More
Video Memory

1GB

Wi-Fi connects you to a router or hotspot for wireless Internet access. Learn More
Wi-Fi

802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Model Intel

Bluetooth allows you to connect to wireless devices such as headsets, smart phones, and speakers.
Bluetooth

Mobile broadband connects you to the Net from anywhere, even places with no hotspot. Learn More
Mobile Broadband

Touchpad Size 3.7 x 2.2

Ports allow you to connect to external devices such as monitors, printers, MP3 players, and hard drivse. Learn More
Ports (excluding USB)

Dual Headphone; Gigabit Ethernet; HDMI; Kensington Lock; Microphone; USB 3.0; VGA

USB ports allow you to connect many external devices, from MP3 players to external hard drives. Learn More
USB Ports

Card readers allow you to plug memory and expansion cards directly into a notebook. Learn More
Card Slots

2-1 card reader Warranty/Support 2-year hardware limited warranty Size 16.3 x 10.8 x 1.2-1.4 inches Weight 7 pounds

You can also try this link:  Notebook Displays

If it were a rattler. . . .

Top Student
HPlaptopFan
Message 4 of 8 (436 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply.

Product Name dv6-6b66ew

Product Number A6P08EA

Microprocessor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7-2670QM

Microprocessor Cache 6 MB L3 cache

Memory 4 GB DDR3

Memory Max Upgradeable to 8 GB DDR3

Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M (2 GB DDR5 dedicated Video Memory up to 4.22 GB total)

Display 39,6 cm (15,6") High-Definition LED BrightView Display (1366 x 768)

Hard Drive 500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity Bluetooth with WiDi Intel 802.11 b/g/n

Sound Beats Audio for superior sound

Keyboard Full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad

Pointing Device TouchPad supporting Multi-Touch gestures with On/Off button

PC Card Slots Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital cards, Multimedia cards

External Ports

• 1 VGA
  • 2 headphone-out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • 2 USB 2.0
  • 2 USB 3.0
  • 1 RJ45

Dimensions 37.8 x 24.68 x 3.52 cm

Weight Starting at 2.91 kg

Power 120W AC Power Adapter
6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)

BIOS Properties
BIOS Type Insyde EFI
BIOS Version F.02
System BIOS Date 10/03/2011
Video BIOS Date 01/18/11

CCC Version

2011.0930.2209.37895 (latest available)

I'm starting to think that it may be hdd fault, if laptop can freeze even when starting windows. Gonna check it one more time, coz last time i tried to do it, laptop froze while checking hdd. 

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 5 of 8 (412 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello again,

Thank you for including your laptop's specs. I've been able to compress the issue. And I don't think that your hdd is at fault.

First off, don't disconnect your laptop's battery.

Secondly, have you tried to perform a clean boot/startup, so that you can begin to hunt down the issue at hand rather than leapfrogging?

If you haven't, please go to this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 and perform a clean boot on your laptop.

Let us know what happens. I will be checking.

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 6 of 8 (380 Views)

If you tried the clean boot. . . as asked, and found no issues, this might be a hardware issue with the gpu. You may have to use the hp warranty and . . . .

Top Student
Fia7
Message 7 of 8 (217 Views)

I have also been having this problem, I have a dv6-6b14ed, looking at your sysytem info it is exactly the same except with 8gb Ram instead of 4. Have found others online with the same problem, lots of suggestions to run checks on RAM, HDD etc. all of which I have done and turned up nothing.

If you do figure it out please post here as it is driving me mad and today alone has cost me couple of hours work on two occasions. Pretty much a day wasted.

Top Student
HPlaptopFan
Message 8 of 8 (211 Views)

Hi!

Yes, i'v solved my problem. It wans't ram, coz i tried chaning it with my friends ram, and laptop continued to freeze, it wasn't hdd, coz i'v changed it to ssd. I'v tried reinstalling windows, but the same version i had, it freezed again. Then i'v downloaded windows copy from torrents, enterprise edition i think, installed it and guess what? It never freeze again lol :smileyhappy:

Hope it will help and i wish u to solve your problem asap, coz i know how annoying these freezes are =)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation