Question

Honor Student
lopezamalie
Message 1 of 10 (8,837 Views)

No bootable device

I just bought my HP Pavilion Dv5 little over a month ago. It worked great until today. It was off and I turned it on to use it and got "No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key" That is all it will do. Does anyone know what this means or how to fix it? Thank you, AM

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 2 of 10 (8,836 Views)

Re: No bootable device

From cold boot, hold down f10 as it starts, go to diagnostic, press enter on primary hard disk self test, if it says "hard disk not exist" try to reseat the hdd on the bottom of your computer (but i doubt it will help). This might be a problem with the sata connector (not the hdd itself). Your computer has a warranty, call hp to have it serviced.

Honor Student
lopezamalie
Message 3 of 10 (8,834 Views)

Thank you, I tried as you said and it didn't work. It did say it doesn't exisist. I will call HP tomorrow and see what can be done. I appreciate it. AM

Top Student
13ulow
Message 4 of 10 (8,582 Views)

Did you get any help from HP? Are you back on track?

Honor Student
GooberDog
Message 5 of 10 (7,526 Views)

Happened to my daughters DV5. The Sata cable came off the motherboard. Bad design really. The way it's set up, gravity is always against the connector staying put. Any little bump will pop it out. Take out the battery. 2 screws are visible for the first cover. losen those and pry it up carefully. One screw for the next cover then pry that one up as well. Reseat the SATA to the MB.

Put it all back together & you're good to go.This worked for me. GL !!  :smileyhappy:

Top Student
potatomasherjim
Message 6 of 10 (6,303 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could please further describe how to reseat the SATA to the MB? 

I have the same problem but I am not familiar with taking computers or laptops apart and recognising the parts. I was able to remove the two covers but past that I didn't know what to look for and I didn't want to break my laptop.

Honor Student
krimkrim
Message 7 of 10 (4,563 Views)

..Hey thanks!!! this worked like a charm, you were right, i removed the battery removed two small screws with an eye glasses screwdriver, for the memory door, then there was one screw for the hard drive door which i removed, and i could clearly see that the ribbon from the hard drive came undone from the motherboard, so i hooked it back up, and screwed everything back in. Fixed!! Thanks so much, i reg'd just to let ya know :smileyhappy:)

06/2012 ..i had a hp pavilion dv5, it took a bad fall, and now its fixed.

Student
theunholycross
Message 8 of 10 (386 Views)

So I dropped my lap top its a HP pavilion dv5 notebook pc and I opened it up to use it and it read "no bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key" I don't know what to do and I'm getting aggravated cuz I need my computer HELP
Top Student
road_rascal
Message 9 of 10 (237 Views)

Just reseated the HDD cable on my daughters DV5.  This laptop has seen 4 hard years of college use and it's about ready to be 'retired'.  Pretty durable comp considering the abuse it's been through.  Thanks to those who posted the fix!

PhD Student
PeerOne
Message 10 of 10 (220 Views)

road_rascal wrote:

Just reseated the HDD cable on my daughters DV5.  This laptop has seen 4 hard years of college use and it's about ready to be 'retired'.  Pretty durable comp considering the abuse it's been through.  Thanks to those who posted the fix!

This works if the computer wasn't on or the HDD wasn't damaged in the drop.

Asking For Help - Some Basic TIPS.
1. What is the P/N?
2. O/S?
3. Give Much Details as to the problem if possible.

Don't PM me if you don't allow PM InReturn.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation