Question

Honor Student
jagger23
Message 1 of 4 (140 Views)

Notebook Presario CQ61Z-400 Black Screen w/blinking num lock

Attempt to start up but get a black screen w/blinking num lock and cap lock lights. Fan runs on attempted start up then after about 5 secs fan shuts off.

Already tried 15 sec, 30 sec and 60 sec hold down proceedure with battery out ....still no response...just out of warranty (of course)....can anyone help PLEASE.

Thank you!

Teacher
ScorpiusDominus
Message 2 of 4 (137 Views)

Re: Notebook Presario CQ61Z-400 Black Screen w/blinking num lock

Need some more information to help. The blinking should be in a pattern. I.E. blnks 3 times...pause.. blinks twice... pause and repeats etc... The blinking LED's are an error code that can be taced to the issue. Please provide more information to better be able to find you issue.

Verify at: http://verify.CompTIA.org
Daniel Lamory
COMP001005331608 August 18, 2006
KCSLF55DJ3EQ52JB
Honor Student
jagger23
Message 3 of 4 (135 Views)

Thank you so much for trying to help us...

It seems to be just one blink then a pause, then one blink - pause.

Blink seems to last about a 1/2 a second and the pause seems to last about 2 seconds.

Teacher
ScorpiusDominus
Message 4 of 4 (128 Views)

Accourding to HP error codes that code means the CPU has failed. Whereas this is possible, I would test a few things before tossing the computer out. First, I would strip everything out of the system (hard drive, optical drive, any external devices, and RAM) then reboot the system and see if the error is still there. You may got other errors because of the missing items buut dont concern yourself with that. If the one blink goes away then the CPU is fine. Reassemble the computer starting with the ram and test as you put each item back in until the issue comes back. Minor things such as a faulty USB port can cause issues in a computer. As an Example:

A while ago My house was hit by a power spike afterwards my system wouldnt start at all. After disconnecting everything it would start up. As I replaced one item at a time it turned out the spike shorted out my front USB ports preventing my system from starting. I left them unplugged and the system has been fine ever since.

Verify at: http://verify.CompTIA.org
Daniel Lamory
COMP001005331608 August 18, 2006
KCSLF55DJ3EQ52JB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation