Question

Honor Student
tonywonghs
Message 1 of 9 (15,441 Views)

Notebook shuts off almost immediately

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have a Compaq notebook F762AU, I press power on button, and it turns on, then shuts off immediately less than a second after power on. I tried to remove battery, harddisk, and ram, but same symptom. Any clue? Thanks in advanced.

Top Student
SweetyB101
Message 2 of 9 (15,390 Views)

Re: Notebook shuts off almost immediately

i am having the same problem with my HP Pavilion DV6625us. I know i am in need of a new battery and the ac adapter I have I dont think is really compatible. I have not figured out the problem but am having to send my laptop in for a broken hinge, but email support gives me no help or suggestions, or even an estimate of cost for anything. Is your battery in good shape or your ac adapter? I believe mine may be due to the power supplies, and have considered not sending my laptop in for repair until after I order a new one, but someone suggested that it could be the motherboard.

Honor Student
tonywonghs
Message 3 of 9 (15,373 Views)

Just forgot to mention that I have tested with and without battery, so it must not the battery problem... Yet, I brought my laptop to my friend's house to test the ac adapter, and my notebook still no response, so it must not ac adapter issue. Now, I think it is the motherboard issue, as many people did, I have to reflow the GPU...

Top Student
SweetyB101
Message 4 of 9 (15,371 Views)

just got off the phone with support. they did not tell me what the issue was but with a price estimate of $300-$400 without warranty i am led to believe it to be a motherboard issue. The person could not tell me, they were just to confirm shipping details and send the order to repairs. Sorry i couldn't help more.

Honor Student
tonywonghs
Message 5 of 9 (15,324 Views)

Definitely motherboard issue based on your quote from support, it is same as other people mentioned. I have ordered my heat gun and will update once I have the reflow done. Together with the job that will be done, I will also put a piece of copper shim as heat sink to release the heat, as suggested by expert from internet.

Top Student
SweetyB101
Message 6 of 9 (15,193 Views)

I just want to update for those that may have this issue. Mine WAS the power supply, not my hard drive. I opted to buy a new ac adapter/power cord before sending in. I plugged in the new ac and it is booting up with no problems and no shut offs. Only thing now that I have to worry about is fixing my hinge. lol.

Honor Student
SpellbinderAlex
Message 7 of 9 (14,270 Views)

Don't know if it will work for your HP, but I have the same problem with mine - HP Pavilion dv6600 - the fan turns on, then the top panel lights go on and then suddenly go off... then it starts over and cycles thru forever without coming on...

Now, I discovered, if you try to go to the BIOS utility during this cycle, in my case, pressing ''F10'' key every second, then THE LAPTOP COMES BACK TO LIFE AND TURNS ON!!! Try pressing ''F2'', ''F3'', ''F11'', ''F12'', ''Del'' or ''Inc'' keys one after another, during the "turn on-turn off cycle", if an ''F10'' key doesn't work....

I don't know, also try disconnecting it from the power supply, disconnecting the battery, and also you will have to take out a little motherboard battery and the RAM memory out (little BATTERY located next to the RAM memory, under the memory lid, on the bottom of your laptop) - now wait an hour or so and put everything the way it was - NOW, try powering your laptop on. Sometimes a virus can get into your BIOS and stay there... but, if you take out all the power (all 4 things listed above), you might have a chance "to kill" the virus!

Good luck)

Honor Student
SpellbinderAlex
Message 8 of 9 (14,269 Views)

And if the above set of actions DON'T work - your mama, mate (aka "the motherboard") has gotten BAD!

It is very COMMON for HP, as they are the WORST computers one can buy! VERY GOOD FOR making great quality PRINTERS, SCANNERS and other office stuff... BUT THE WORST IN COMPUTERS!!! Next time go with DELL and you will almost never have problems with hardware (a little more money in the beginning, but no headache in the future)!!!!

Good luck!

Alex)

Student
hanii
Message 9 of 9 (2,728 Views)

yes you are right, HP is the worst in all electronic devices, i had bought new Compaq laptop and HP printer and all of them are rubbish, tons of problems and malfunction 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation