Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with CQ61 its only about 14 months old so out of warranty, however I have done the Bios restore and this appears to read the disk and do an auto reboot but stops at the blank screen, I want to know if I send it off for repair how much wil it cost to repair?

Since this appears to be a common fault I would expect that there is some inherent problem with these CQ61, and would expect Compaq to take some responsibility in ensuring the cost is not excessive I believe their might even bee a possible design flaw. I hope someone can help me to resolve my issue. And I have changed the following Disk drive Battery Power supply removed and replaced RAM, there isn't a lot more I can do.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with my CQ62 and again it's 14 months old like everyone elses. I too have tried the hrad reset with no luck.

Cheers Dave

HP Recommended

After reseating the memory the issue was solved for me.

HP Recommended

Also experiencing this on a friends CQ61-420US computer. Reseating the memory did not help. Created the UEFI diagnostics USB key, booted with Win+B and could see the USB key get accessed just prior to a beep and reboot.

It seems that this system does support flashing the firmware from USB, but HP doesn't make a USB BIOS file available for download. The only one on the website is to be applied from Windows, which is sort of useless if you can't run Windows.

Has anyone found a valid bios file that can be installed from USB?

HP Recommended

im having the same problem with my compaq. this laptop wasnt cheap. i think hp should fix everyones computer since its the same problem with this particular computer. they should last alot longer than mine did for money paid for it so (HP) WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DI TO FIX OUR PROBLEM. if not i will never buy another HP product. 

HP Recommended

This BIOS update tool worked, though not specified for my CQ61:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=ob-88666-1&taskId=13...

When you use this tool, you will not actually see the tool working. The laptop reboots and starts as usual, granted the tool fixed your issue.

DL'd to a different computer, installed to USB drive (it will ask you where you want to "put" the files, select your USB drive). Plugged drive into laptop.

Held "B" key as turning on. Screen stayed black a while longer, audible "beep", then on to safe mode prompt.

Worked well.

If this works for you, start in safe mode and run run memory diagnostic in the administrative tools (control panel).

I hope this saves you from buying another machine... saved me!

HP Recommended
I tried to follow your link, but got the error of server not found. Can you provide just the name of the tool? The entire link was not visible. Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.