Question

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 1 of 35 (8,061 Views)

Pavilion DV6700 bios recovery from usb-disk problem

Hello.

I updated my Pavilion DV6732 bios to latest version F.34 from Windows. Update was succesful according to update info. Everything went fine till I let my computer to reboot after update. Now theres blank screen when I power on.

I tried hard reset - no help. The hard disk is partitioned differently than as default and theres Win 7 64-bit installed now. Bios update said the old bios was backed up, but I think it wasn't because there's no more the original "backup partition" on the hardrive, instead theres overall 3 partitions now.

I would like to get help, how to actualy try the Phoenix bios crisis recovery, because so far I have failed to make it succesful by using usb-disk. Should I get usb-floppydisk adapter and try again by using good old floppy disk or what?

Thanks!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 35 (8,049 Views)

Re: Pavilion DV6700 bios recovery from usb-disk problem

Hi,

This sometimes works - no guarantee.

With the notebook shut down, insert the USB drive, hold down the Windows key and B, then start the notebook.  Keep these keys held down and see if it looks like the USB Drive is being accessed.  If it is, give this plenty of time to finish.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 3 of 35 (8,019 Views)

Today I managed to recover my dead Pavilion DV6732!

Things what made it success was the following:

-Downloading the last working bios version from HP-site what I had before the problem. For me it was F.33.

-Downloading and using Wincrisis 1.0.0.4 with FAT formatted 512 MT usb-disk. I readed that earlier versions of the program failed to write the correct boot info to usb-disks, so older versions only worked with usb-floppydisks.

-After extracting the .exe packet, there will be 2 x .WPH bios files (A and B version). I think I succeed by renaming the A version to BIOS.WPH but if it doesn't work for you,  try to rename the B version. Maybe there's no difference which one u rename and use but it's possible that only one of the files works for your pc and situation.

-Moved the renamed BIOS.wph to same folder with Wincrisis 1.0.0.4 and then I started the program and made the recovery disk. After that I checked that there was only those 3 needed files in the disk lke there should be.

-Recovery failed at first when I used the right side single usb port for the usb-disk (even when I know the usb-port is not faulty). Seems to be that not all usb-ports are capable for the process for some reason.

So I moved the disk to left side port and it worked! I hit Win+B --> Powerbutton and I started to hear lots of beeps and same time usb-disk was reading nonstop. After couple of minutes my laptop turned itself off and I waited 30 seconds to be sure it won't start up automaticallyl. I removed the usb-disk and powered my laptop. It was alive!!! I flashed my bios to latest version F.34 again in windows, this time without problems!

Intern
BIOSUpdateVicti
Message 4 of 35 (8,011 Views)

Falcon-85, I am trying to recover a bricked Pavilion dv6235nr, and I hope your method can work for me, too.

Where did you get Wincrisis 1.0.0.4?  I found a download for Wincrisis at Rapidshare, but it seems to be an older version.  Inside the "CRISDISK.bat" file, there is a line stating "Rev 1.0   31 Jul 2001 16:54:02".

I tried to create a Wincrisis startup USB stick, using a 1 GB USB stick I had formatted FAT16.  I ran the Wincrisis utility under Windows XP, using the oldest HP BIOS I could find, version F.15, released in 2007. 

While the Wincrisis utility completed normally, the USB stick does not do anything.  Regardless of which USB port I use or what key combination I press on the dv6235nr, I see no indication of further activity after powerup.  The display does not turn on, so I have no idea what's happening, and I cannot see anything to select booting from the USB stick, for example.

My dv6235nr was rendered inoperative by HP's BIOS "update," version F.2E, dated April 12, 2010.  Some update!  I am pretty sure the machine will be fine if I can somehow reinstall an older BIOS, but I can't do it so far.

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 5 of 35 (7,996 Views)

I believe that your issue occurs because you don't have the 1.0.0.4 version of Wincrisis, because I tried with many versions as well with no success. Would you pls give your email so I can post the file to your mail? Seems that I don't even remember anymore where I got it but it was some other forum and some guy posted that link and explained, how the older versions worked only with usb-floppydisks.

When I send you the file, try again and lets see how it goes. Don't give up if it still fails, lets keep in touch and see what we could try together.

Intern
BIOSUpdateVicti
Message 6 of 35 (7,987 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here's what happens when I try the Wincrisis USB stick in other machines: At startup, if I select booting from the USB stick, I get a message to "remove disk and press Enter" (or something to that effect).  If I hit Enter, the message just keeps repeating.  If I remove the USB stick and hit Enter, the machine boots from the first HDD.

So I don't think my version of Wincrisis is creating a bootable USB stick.

All the other solutions I can think of, e.g. booting FreeDOS and running Phlash16 from there, would require a working display.

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 7 of 35 (7,970 Views)

Pls send me an email to my address deejayhot@gmail.com so I can answer back and send u the right version of Wincrisis. I still didn't find the right site to pick up the link what I found after 3 day searching.

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 8 of 35 (7,968 Views)

Ok ty I send you the file. The program itself is not rare but the right working version for usb-disk use seems to be. Good luck with trying! Pls report here how it went.

Intern
BIOSUpdateVicti
Message 9 of 35 (7,961 Views)

[ Edited ]

It still doesn't work.  I tried two different USB sticks, both 1 GB, neither one is bootable.  At most, I get a message stating

Flash crisis recovery disk
Remove and press any key

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 10 of 35 (7,957 Views)

I just tested my own recovery disk and it says the same. Conclusion is, it's not even ment to be bootable that way. Still, the same disk just recovered my bios succesfully. This means you should not even test is it bootable or not, just follow my instructions again and keep trying.

By the way did .wph files for your laptop model?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation