Question
Pavilion DV6700 bios recovery from usb-disk problem
Replies (34)

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 11 of 35 (4,393 Views)

Re: Pavilion DV6700 bios recovery from usb-disk problem

*By the way did you find the .wph files for your laptop model?

Today by very fast searching I was not able to find or extract them for your model.

Intern
BIOSUpdateVicti
Message 12 of 35 (4,390 Views)

[ Edited ]

Really?  That's odd.  I found BIOS updates here:

Pavilion dv6235nr BIOS download page

although it is possible that the link will not work for you.  Corporate support websites sometimes are too complicated and you can't simply paste a link.

One problem I had with your walkthrough: I did not get two *.wph files, only one.  But that was all that was contained in the executable BIOS patcher, just one file called "30BBF15.WPH".  I renamed it to just BIOS.WPH and put it in the CRISDISK directory when I ran Wincris.exe on my USB stick.

The way I got that file 30BBF15.WPH: I used a Linux utility called "Archive Manager" to unpack the compressed executable (sp34602.exe), which resulted in another executable, 30BBF15.EXE.  I then used Archive Manager again on 30BBF15.EXE to extract the 30BBF15.WPH file.  Is there something wrong with doing it that way?  Maybe the *.wph file I extracted is corrupt somehow?  There was only the one .wph contained in the .exe.

I would assume your dv6700 and my dv6235nr are both 6000-series machines, and should be similar enough for your trick to work on both of them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Could you describe in more detail the keys you used to re-flash your BIOS?  I am not sure whether I need to hold down Windows key + B the whole time, have it pressed down before hitting the power button, or what.  Do I release keys after the machine powers on?

I also found that the result varies according to which USB port I use.  If I use the right-side one or the left one that is closer to the screen, the machine just gives error beeps.  If I use the left side one closer to me, I get no beeps, but also only a few flashes from the USB stick's activity LED, then nothing.

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 13 of 35 (4,384 Views)

Getting only one .wph file is the most common situation and I think your wph-file is just fine. Now I think you should next download all available bios file packets and extract the wph files from everyone.

Then try each one of them just by renaming every wph file to bios.wph and just replace the last bios.wph file on your usb-disk. I did that same. I tried many versions and finally I found the right one (what was actually the last working one before the problem, but for some users other versions has worked as well). There is no need to use wincrisis everytime, you can just keep trying by replacing the bios.wph to different version on your usb-disk.

I strongly believe that only one of them will bring you the success. Also test that if you don't press any key combos and you start with the usb-disk, does the light flash at all? If not, then your key combo you tried is the right one. For me, only Win+B woke up my usb-disk. Without that key combo, my usb-disk was just on with no blinks.

For me before my success, my usb-flash disk flashed only 1-2 seconds and then nothing. I kept trying different bios.wph versions and finally on the left ports I succeed with the right bios.wph version. I got one beep, then usb-light started to blink and I started to get much more different lenght of beeps and I just waited till my pc turned off. Usb-disk was reading like nonstop.

For some models after the succesful update the notebook can also restart itself instead of shutting down.

For me the Win key + B was the right combo. For some other models Fn + B is the one. There are only one working key combo for your model and you have to try it out.

Intern
BIOSUpdateVicti
Message 14 of 35 (4,380 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just read a bit about the "boot block" BIOS recovery feature that the dv6000 series is supposed to have.  I feel more confident that it should work, provided i find the magical *.wph file.  Will be trying each of them in turn.

Well, so much for that.  I tried all of the different BIOS versions in turn, from F15 to F2E.  None of them did anything.  It appears the computer is not even looking for the BIOS file.

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 15 of 35 (4,354 Views)

If possible you should try with usb-floppydisk if you can borrow it from somewhere, even new ones are not expensive but well there's still no guarantee it will work. Would be **bleep** nice to try to fix your laptop if I could get my change by living in same country with you.

I still believe that your usb-disk is just not made correctly for the crisis recovery. You should also try smaller usb-disks like 512 Mt if you can get one from somewhere but one thing is sure, they have to be in FAT format instead of FAT32 or NTFS, thats how I understood it.

If your usb-disk is reading 1-2 seconds when you power up ur pc by using the right key combo before pressingt the power button, thats a good sign. If the light doesnt blink longer, that feels like the usb-disk is just not made correctly or the bios file is not the "right one".

The right order is to remove battery and adapter. Then just in case do hard reset by pressing the power button for about 15 seconds. Plug in your usb-disk, press and hold down Win + B or Fn + B, plug in your adapter without battery, press power button. When led lights up / power comes on, stop pressing the keys. You can also keep pressing the keys for like 10 seconds before releasing them but I think that won't make any difference.

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 16 of 35 (4,353 Views)

Taken from HP site for your model:

Recover an earlier version of BIOS
Whenever you upgrade the BIOS on your notebook, a copy of the previous version is stored in the HP TOOLS partition of your hard disk drive. This is considered the last known good version of the BIOS. Newer HP notebook PCs have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that will allow you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive, as long as the hard drive remains functional. This emergency recovery feature is separate from the BIOS and is designed to work in the event of a catastrophic BIOS failure.
To recover an earlier version of the BIOS on your notebook:
  1. Plug the notebook into an AC adapter.
  2. Press the Power button while holding the Windows key and the B key.
  3. The emergency recovery feature replaces the BIOS with the last known good version. The computer reboots automatically when the process is completed successfully.

NOTE:  If your HP TOOLS partition does not contain a last known good version of the BIOS, or the partition has been removed or is otherwise inaccessible, then the emergency recovery feature will hang. You can press the Power button to turn the notebook off.
So for you the right key combo is the same WIn+B. If you follow the upper procedure without usb-disk, what happens? Do you get any beeps?
Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 17 of 35 (4,350 Views)

One more question. Did you run the Wincrisis.exe from your hard disk? Just making sure, because it's not ment to be run from the usb-disk. When the operation is succesfull, there should only be 3 files in the usb-disk, bios.wph, phflash16.exe and minidos.sys

Intern
BIOSUpdateVicti
Message 18 of 35 (4,329 Views)

It never occurred to me to run Wincris from a USB stick.  Naturally I ran it from the hard drive.

I don't have an HP TOOLS partition/folder because I used the entire hard drive when I installed Windows 7.

If there is any good in this situation, it's that I never got a chance to "activate" Windows 7.  You only get two "free" activations before having to phone MS for permission, so at least I didn't waste one.

I've noticed that when I start the computer up with the USB stick in the proper port (front left), the machine seems to check the CD-ROM drive.  Might it be trying to boot off there?  I thought about trying to make a bootable BIOS recovery CD-R, but I have no idea what files to put on it.  I don't think making a bootable CD-ROM is as simple as just burning the BIOS.WPH file to the CD-R.

Tutor
Falcon-85
Message 19 of 35 (4,319 Views)

Your laptop is just "waking up" the dvd-drive so it's waste to make any cd´s. Only way for succesfull bios recovery in this case  is correctly made usb-disk or usb-floppy.

Is your laptop giving any beeps when you power it on with Win+B pressed down with usb-disk is on?

Intern
BIOSUpdateVicti
Message 20 of 35 (4,311 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's oddly random.  Sometimes when I start up with the USB stick inserted, I get the old "one long, two short" error beeps (painfully loud too!).  At other times, I hear the fans spin up, the DVD-ROM drive makes some noises, the USB stick's activity light flashes a few times, then nothing more happens.

In all cases, the pretty blue LEDs light up, so I know the machine has power.

I can't stand the loud error beeps, so I almost always pull the plug as soon as they start.  I tried letting them continue as well, but nothing further happened - no more activity on the USB stick or otherwise (regardless of whether I press Windows key + b or any other key combination).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation