Pavilion Dv6 wont start up! (10967 Views)
Top Student
Will_oz
Message 1 of 7 (10,967 Views)

Pavilion Dv6 wont start up!

Hi,

My Pavilion Dv6 notebook will not start up anymore, when the power button is pressed the LED lights and fan turn on for a second and then completely cut out again. I have tried removing the battery and holding down the power button as I found that option on the forums but it still wont work, any ideas????

Thanks,

Will

Top Student
Will_oz
Message 2 of 7 (10,963 Views)

Re: Pavilion Dv6 wont start up!

Also it is just about 5 weeks out of warranty (of course!)

Honor Student
ms4278
Message 3 of 7 (10,934 Views)

I have the same laptop a DV 6736NR i just got it used from a friend and it has a problem as well. When i boot up the computer it would hang at the bios sometimes. I would have to shut down and power back on and hope it loads to the OS. I noticed 1 thing tho you see i thought what if i remove the hard drive and dvd drive and see if it will go to the bios options cause before i took out the hard drive and dvd drive it wouldnt even go into the bios options. So i took out the hard drive... no change but... when i took out the dvd drive and boot to bios or the os it would never hang and load every time. So im thinking maybe something with my dvd drive is messed up or my motherboard has a problem where the dvd drive hooks up cause also i noticed that when i was booted up in vista and had a install cd to a game running all of the sudden my dvd drive disappeared from my computer and i had to go to the device manager and rescan for hardware devices to reinstall my dvd drive. So hey take out the hard drive and dvd drive and see if you can go into tthe bios. Thats where i would start. ^_^

P.S. I tried a different dvd drive and there was no change but when i tried to plugin the original dvd drive that came with the laptop it cause my laptop to power on, lights on, then turn right off. So what i did was take out the dvd drive start the laptop with only the hard drive in and boot to the os. Then remove any dvd drivers that was installed reboot then when logged in vista with laptop on.. slide your dvd drive in while the laptop is on and it will detect the drive and if it dont then go to device manager and scan for new devices and then after it installs the driver reboot.. After i did all that when i powered it on it powered on and the lights came on and it didnt shut off again but im still stuck with the bios hanging sometimes.. So im settling with somethimes it hangs at boot and sometimes it loads to OS right now. lol

Teacher
MicGoogle
Message 4 of 7 (10,889 Views)

Hi all, when you first start your laptop hit ESC until BIOS loads up, and then in there change the order of bootup to Hard Drive, it may have DVD Drive or something else as the first order of bootup.

Will try that solution you did before again this time make sure there is no CD in drive bay, nothing extra attached in USB slots, and hold the power button up to a minute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
PhD Student
Knute
Message 5 of 7 (10,760 Views)

Will_oz wrote:

Hi,

My Pavilion Dv6 notebook will not start up anymore, when the power button is pressed the LED lights and fan turn on for a second and then completely cut out again. I have tried removing the battery and holding down the power button as I found that option on the forums but it still wont work, any ideas????

Thanks,

Will

Did you ever get this resolved?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Student
    BillFromNy
    Message 6 of 7 (9,564 Views)

I have the same exact issue. My Pavilion Dv6-2150 notebook will not start up, when the power button is pressed the LED lights and fan turn on for a second and then completely cut out again. I have tried removing the battery and holding down the power button as I found that option on the forums, and also removed and re-seated the memory and hard drive, and tried just 1 memory dimm at a time, but still same problem. Does anyone have a resolution or add'l steps I can take please? Thanks 

Honor Student
    Plane_Otto
    Message 7 of 7 (9,552 Views)

I made a topic about this about a day ago. Hold on I'll send some pictures and videos that might come in handy for us.

Video, I have more videos, different times etc on the youtube channel, just browse around.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSmokinchico#p/u/9/MJd3jp8LsSw

A detailed guide how to re-seat memory sticks and all these solutions would come in handy. Cant afford repair. Thanks!

Ceterum censeo Xbox360iem esse delendam-Cato (Fan of Ps3)
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation