HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
01-11-2011 02:27 PM
I would like help with troubleshooting my Pavilion laptop dv4t-1400, which is just barely out of warranty. Just two days ago, it would not boot up. Since then I have done the following (with noted results):
- it can boot to safe mode OK
- at first, the startup and repair failed and said it could not repair the computer automatically. In the session details, everything passed until the last item. "System files integrity check and repair" failed with error code 0x490.
- I have run chkdsk, which did not show any problems
- have run the memory diagnostic which passed
- ran sfc and it did not detect any issues
- in safe mode, I configured the system for "clean boot" (cleared "Load StartUp Items" and disabled all non-Microsoft services.)
- Now the start up and repair does not fail.
- The system boots up further than before, but eventually gets an application error in ccSvcHst.exe: the instruction at ...referenced memory at ... required data was not placed into memory because of an IO error status of 0xc0000185. And later windows reports that explorer.exe has stopped working.
- I did not install any new software or devices recently, but of course windows updates happen in the background regularly, as well as anti-virus definition updates.
My system says it doesn't have any restore points, which is a big surprise. I could swear I had that feature enabled.
01-14-2011 11:58 AM
Go into the BIOS (press F10 when you see the HP splash screen on bootup) and navigate to the Diagnostics Tab, then select Memory and/or Hard Drive tests and see if either of those return an error.