Pavilion dv6-2020ev (with x64 Windows7) keeps freezing randomly (13377 Views)
Top Student
GreyWulf
Message 1 of 17 (13,377 Views)

Pavilion dv6-2020ev (with x64 Windows7) keeps freezing randomly

Hi, all!

Newbie here. A friend referred me to these forums since I'm having some problems with my HP laptops.

I have an HP Pavilion dv6-2020ev that runs a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS. I bought it back in October 2009. It's been running swell until three weeks ago, then it started freezing up on me at random times. It would freeze when I'm playing, when I'm writing a Word document, when I'm working, even when it's idling. There seems to be no set timing for the freeze - sometimes it lets me work for hours, sometimes just for a half-hour.

I've already done a fresh install of the OS, cleaned out the previous partitions, and created new ones (50GB for Win7 + 400GB for others). Still, that freezing problem is there. I've done some malware detection via Kaspersky and ESET, and still nada. I'm thinking it's a hardware issue, but I'm no expert. I'm already thinking of sending it back to Carrefour (where I bought it), but I want that to be my last resort, especially since the customer servicing here in the UAE can be pretty dubious, downright stupid at times. I want to exhaust all my possibilities before sending the laptop back.

Can anyone please help? I would very much appreciate the effort.

Thanks!

Student
Bushi_Muhammad
Message 2 of 17 (13,337 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6-2020ev (with x64 Windows7) keeps freezing randomly

check your windows log (START > RUN > EVENTVWR) for errors happened before the computer crashed.

my guess is it's some driver not installed probably or a beta version.

Top Student
GreyWulf
Message 3 of 17 (13,312 Views)

Nope, no prob there.

The freezing began with a previous installation of Windows 7 Ultimate. I installed a fresh Win7 Ultimate - along with new partitions - and the problem is still there.

Top Student
GreyWulf
Message 4 of 17 (13,292 Views)

I've just installed the NVIDIA Forceware 195.55, and the thing is yet to freeze on me. This may be my panacea. Will update if the problem returns...
Top Student
Mahmoud_Rawas
Message 5 of 17 (12,873 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Actually i have the same problem 2 weeks ago, and till now i am in contact with HP support without any result, they have very bad support, and more over they don't have a support center in my country, anywa.....

I would like to mention that my laptop has the same issue but defenetlly it is not refered to the operating system, while if you try to startup and get into the BIOS mode it will freez also, which means that they have a problem with the Bios or a hardware problem (VGA , RAM , main board , or CPU) or they have a compatibility issue with Core i7 CPUs , considering that i have update the BIOS to the latest version upon their request, and still i have the issue 

Please if somebody find any solution just let us know,....

Thanks

Mahmoud Rawas

<text removed for privacy>

Student
mohamedbadawi
Message 6 of 17 (12,326 Views)

I used to have the same problem with the same model of hp pavilion dv6-2020. I discovered that the reason was an incompatibility issue with Mcafee Site Advisor. When I uninstalled it, now it works perfectly like before without hanging or freezing.

Top Student
Mahmoud_Rawas
Message 7 of 17 (12,324 Views)

As for me and and after checking with HP they found that it is a Main Board Problem and they are going to replace it, but because of thier bad support i had to travel from country to another simply for an authorized service center and I have leave it there before 16 days and till now with no respose....

I have toke a descision to to get any HP product later ..

Note: our problem not related to any software while we are faceing the issue inside the BIOS

Honor Student
beckertben
Message 8 of 17 (11,958 Views)

Hi

I have recently bought the hp dv6-2020ev. I bought in Jeddah Jarir Bookstore. I have been using it and sometimes when i'm working it freezes. It drives me mad! I tried to reinstall windows but the probelm happens often. Can any please tell me what I could do do against this probelm? To I have to update my drivers.

Core i7 720qm

4 GB Ram DDR 3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M

Honor Student
beckertben
Message 9 of 17 (11,919 Views)

I have the same probelm! Please reply on my message

Hi

I have recently bought the hp dv6-2020ev. I bought in Jeddah Jarir Bookstore. I have been using it and sometimes when i'm working it freezes. It drives me mad! I tried to reinstall windows but the probelm happens often. Can any please tell me what I could do do against this probelm? To I have to update my drivers.

Core i7 720qm

4 GB Ram DDR 3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M

Top Student
Mahmoud_Rawas
Message 10 of 17 (11,952 Views)

It seems that you have good luck while you have an HP service center in KSA, ... I would suggest to go directly to that service center, and ask for replacement if you can, as for me i am still Fighting with Jordanian resealer 2 months ago just to replace the laptop or to finish that process of changing it main board, considering that i had to travel from Syria to Jordan for that DUMMY process... go quickly, and don't wait.... Regards
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation