Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 that won't start up-- black screen and I've tried a hard reset and that didn't work.  It does beep If I take the memory out.  But the fan, the wireles, mute, and caps lock lights are the only thing that work.

Please Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I strongly recommend you to contact HP Technical Support over the Phone as I suspect this is purely a hardware issue which cannot be fixed easily. HP has to perform a Hardware Diagnostics in the Service Center.

Consumer Notebook Support - 1800 474 6836 [Say Get Tech Support and wait for the engineer]

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome to HP Support Forum and we are glad to assist you.

It looks like you are having lot of difficulties to get to the Windows Desktop as its not responding

We will surely assist you with this.

According to the message you have posted I suspect this could be because of the recent changes made if any.

I would kindly request with you to perform the below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Turn OFF the PC

Step 02. Power ON the PC and keep tapping F8 Key

Step 03. Select "Safe mode" from the Advance Boot Option list

Note: Wait till you get to the Windows Desktop

Step 05. Please remove unwanted startup items and uninstall unwanted applications

Step 06. Please reboot/restart the PC the normal way

Note: Incase if these steps doesn't work you can continue troubleshooting the issue again

Step 01. Turn OFF the PC

Step 02. Power ON the PC and keep tapping F8 Key

Step 03. Select "Last known good configuration" from the Advance Boot Option list

Note: Wait till you get to the Windows Desktop

Step 04. Please remove unwanted startup items and uninstall unwanted applications

Step 05. Please reboot/restart the PC the normal way

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Sorry, nothing happened pressing the "f8" key.  I don't even get the HP splash screen showing the Bios being intialized or the memory being checked.

???

HP Recommended

According to the error message you have posted I suspect there could be a hardware issue on your Notebook

It could be possible that the Hard Drive on the Notebook could be corrupted or it might have bad sectors

Please perform the Steps as shown below:

1. Turn OFF the Notebook

2. Power ON the Unit and keep tapping the Escape Key during the start up to enter the Start-up Menu

3. Now here, Please select the BIOS option [F10] and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab

4. You should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory

Note: Please perform these two tests and post back with the details of any error messages

Please click on the link shown below to find the steps involved in performing a Hard Drive Test

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Regards,

K N R K

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I tried that twice and the screen stays blank the entire time.  Is there a way to send to an external display while its booting up?  Or is the display just toast?

HP Recommended

Please connect an external desktop monitor to this notebook and check if you get a display

Please revert to this post with results

Regards,

K N R K

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Same results.  The screen is still blank and black

HP Recommended

I strongly recommend you to contact HP Technical Support over the Phone as I suspect this is purely a hardware issue which cannot be fixed easily. HP has to perform a Hardware Diagnostics in the Service Center.

Consumer Notebook Support - 1800 474 6836 [Say Get Tech Support and wait for the engineer]

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.