Question

Honor Student
principalsppa
Message 1 of 9 (3,891 Views)

Pavilion dv6 won't start up

I live in Korea, and have a Pavilion.  A few weeks ago I started having it crash while online, usually while using Flash or Java.  It got worse and worse, and now the computer won't even start up.  When I press the power button, I get a couple of lights flashing for a second on the keyboard, but that is it.  It then turns off.  I tried resetting it, and I even took out the internal battery and RAM to try and reset, but it still does the same thing.  I have all of my data backed up onto my external drive, so I don't need to save anything.  I would just like to reformat the whole thing if possible.  I don't have any disks that came with my laptop, but do have access to the internet with another computer if that helps.  Thanks.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 9 (3,879 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6 won't start up

Try some troubleshooting, format will not help that kind of startup problem

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=53794&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&d...

Honor Student
principalsppa
Message 3 of 9 (3,869 Views)

Already tried all the troubleshooting info, and I'm to the point where it says I need technical assistance.  I thought I would try here first before emailing tech support.  

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 9 (3,849 Views)

Sounds like a video problem, it is common on those models

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260595095107

Here're the most common issues on laptops:

• Laptop will power and turn on, but no display on screen
    When Powered on you can hear fan and blue lights light up but nothing on screen
  • Cycles on and off by it self however never shows anything on screen
  • Screen is full of "squiggles" or vertical/horizontal lines
  • Reboots on its own after a few minutes and repeats this
  • No power at all however power jack and supply are good
  • Cannot connect to the Internet, WiFi not functioning
  • Blue screen and keep rebooting  
  • Keyboard, USB connectors not working
Student
marcusosullivan
Message 5 of 9 (3,603 Views)

Hi did you ever get your problem solved by HP. My Pavilion dv6 won't start either. When I press the power on button the led's on the front of the pc they flash three times and hen stop. Did you have the same experience.  thanks,

Honor Student
funlife59
Message 6 of 9 (2,531 Views)

My computer shut off while surfing the internet. when I try to power up nothing happens all I get 

is the front lights flashing 3 times and nothing happen I also notice that the power light is off  when is connected to the ac outlet can any body help

Tutor
segxy4cool
Message 7 of 9 (2,503 Views)

i had thesame problem with my hp G61. Can any1 help?
Student
flafla
Message 8 of 9 (1,793 Views)

same issue: I was surfing with proba bly to many windows open, I got a message of high usage of the CPU, then every started to freeze. I tried to close windows even with the control panel, but was impossible. so I shutted down with theon/off button. The I tried to restart but I got only the 3 blinks formn the led under the flash light.

If someone has any suggestion : is very welcomd

ciao

Student
spanishqueen39
Message 9 of 9 (660 Views)

I know this is very commun on intel, I fixed alot of nvidia chips, but what if the laptop is AMD? is there a fix for it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation