Question
Pavilion dv7 mouse pointer freezes and nothing can be clicked
Replies (14)

Student
ljoirmd
Message 11 of 15 (1,420 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv9 mouse pointer freezes and nothing can be clicked

[ Edited ]

As many others I have a pointer freezing problem.  When it happens, I also lose the touchpad and the keyboard.  Doing a hard turnoff by holding down the power button for 4-5 seconds reactivates all functions.  Then anywhere from one minute to about 20 minutes later it happens again.  This computer is four years old and worked perfectly until about a month ago.

System is Windows 7 running on an AMD TL 64 2.20 GH

Any new thoughts by anyone?

UPDATE;  ran HDD test and status was :  #2-07 FAIL    What does that mean?

Honor Student
JDOrozco
Message 12 of 15 (1,322 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7 mouse pointer freezes and nothing can be clicked

I have the solution. What is happening is that you are "deactivating" the mouse by hitting the small white square on the mouse pad. This box turns the mouse pad on and off. To reactivate the mouse pad, simply double tap the white box and your mouse pad shoud reactive. It is has worked every time for me.

Tutor
samp1800
Message 13 of 15 (1,153 Views)

mabye its a battery problem i have this problem too

Student
MelindaB
Message 14 of 15 (249 Views)

I recently have been having the same problem with my dv7--my cursor freezes in the middle of an action, and the touchpad doesn't work then, either. CtrlAltDel does nothing, and my only option is to shut down my computer. I have had this computer about 2 1/2 years, and starting 6 months after I bought it I was already having issues. I sent it in once to have it worked on, and all that HP did was update the BIOS (I think that's their panacea for all ills) and didn't do anything about the issue that was happening. I'm really disappointed with this computer, and I will be looking at Lenovo when I'm in the market for a new one...probably sooner than I would hope.

Student
Divyesh4u
Message 15 of 15 (122 Views)

I could not find any help on the web, but then I found this on wikipedia:
"If the computer is powered by an external power supply unit (PSU), the detailed construction of the PSU will influence the virtual ground effect; a touchpad may work properly with one PSU but be jerky or malfunction with another (this does not imply any electrical risk whatsoever, a delicate capacitative ground, not a contact ground, is at issue). This has been known to cause touchpad problems when a manufacturer's PSU, which will have been designed to work with the touchpad, is replaced by a different type. This effect can be checked by touching a metallic part of the computer with the other hand and seeing if operation is restored. In some cases touching the (insulated) power supply with some part of the body, or using the computer on the lap instead of on a desk, while working can restore correct operation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation