Question

Student
certifiedgeek05
Message 1 of 4 (1,963 Views)

Pavilion dv9000 intermittent hard drive issues

Hello,

I am working on an HP Pavilion DV9000 and sometimes during boot up it will not find the hard drive. I usually have to reboot atleast 3 times then it loads normal and without any issues. Not too sure on the history of the notebook but my guess is it was dropped from the slight damage on the left LCD hinge. There LCD is perfect no issues at all.

When the  BIOS recognizes the hard drive, it has no problem doing a diagnostic at all

Are these signs of the hard drive crashing?

Thanks,

David

Top Student
NealeGilhooley
Message 2 of 4 (1,954 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv9000 intermittent hard drive issues

There is a lot of info on product recalls for the DV9000 at http://search.hp.com/gwukeng/query.html?cc=uk&lang=en&charset=utf-8&qt=hp+pavillion+recall&la=en

I have this laptop which is now unable to restart since saturday - (3 days without my Laptop!) and I have contacted HP.

There seems to be a recall issues so worth investigating before it gets as bad as mine.

Neale

Top Student
NealeGilhooley
Message 3 of 4 (1,907 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv9000 terminal motherboard

[ Edited ]

I did get a reply from HP UK (well who knows where they actually are) saying it was a hardware problem and out of warranty so tough.  They sent me to a website to find a local fixer but none in my area (Edinburgh only has half a million population?) so my own local Laptop service company say that the video graphics card has burned out and as its embedded on the motherboard that needs replaced - cost £440 (Almost 450 Euro).

But if I replace with a motherboard which seems to have a design flaw - or at least a faulty graphics card - then how long will it last? That part comes with a 3 month warranty not even a year, so it is not a good bet. That is around half of what I paid for the HP laptop

Anyone in the UK want to buy a 17" HP DV9000 cost £1,000 2 years ago, value now spare parts if I am lucky and a repair diagnostic bill to pay. 

Seriously, trade for parts anyone? I got 2 x 250 gig hard drives and even bought more RAM to speed it up.

[email removed for privacy reaons]

Top Student
catjacarol
Message 4 of 4 (1,736 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv9000 intermittent hard drive issues

It is a sign that your computer is dying.  I had the same thing happen to my dv9000 and ended up with a non-functional plastic shell.  Ring up HP, start a paper trail and hope that you may get some free repairs before having to replace the unit!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation