Question

Student
Ectava
Message 1 of 17 (16,413 Views)

Pavilion dv9700 startup problem

I've been trying to boot up my dv9700 laptop, but the lights and fan turn on momentarily and then shut off. Then it repeats the cycle until I remove the battery. Any way I can fix it?

Student
c4715
Message 2 of 17 (16,304 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv9700 startup problem

I don't know what the prob is, but my cpu does the same thing. I think mine is the fan. I hear a ticking noise? I did get the stupid thing to boot. When the lights flash on, hold ctrl-alt and press delete (repeatedly) as fast as you can until you hear the hard drive start up. If you close the lid or turn off cpu, you will have to do it again, every time. Also I used a can of compressed air to blow out the fan area.

Student
jctut401
Message 3 of 17 (15,945 Views)

I also have a HP Pavilion DV9700 which tries to come on, then pauses for 5 secs., blinks on for 3 secs. and repeats ad nauseum---it started after I blew out the fan assembly with compressed air TOO !?!?

I have been told it is the Motherboard?

Honor Student
vikasdabral
Message 4 of 17 (15,752 Views)

[ Edited ]

Any luck with this? I have the same problem with a 9720ea. When I press power button the lights glow the fan starts but then it dies... lights glow again  and this cycle keep repeating until I take battery out (same behaviour with no battery and AC power). If I keep Ctrl+Alt pressed while starting then the lights remain on but the screen is ALWAYS blank. I took it to a laptop repair shop and was told it is a known motherboard problem.

Grad Student
compenthusiast
Message 5 of 17 (15,726 Views)

Hi everyone, it could be the laptop is trying to communicate an error through the blinking lights/beeping.

Check this document here and see if it helps you understand what could be wrong.

Opie1971
Message 6 of 17 (10,096 Views)

I'm working on a DV9700 also for a friend and its got the same on off on off issue.  I've heard about the MB issue, and have tried the suggestions that sound logical enough, hard power reset, compressed air, but haven't tried the soft restart (ctrl+alt+del) so thanks I'll try that.  I agree that its probably the fan, I've completely broke down the laptop and cleaned the heat sinks, fan and applied new contact grease to the heatsink processor, put back together just the essential part need to boot and i also heard the clicking your referring to so i put it on a box fan (the machine was basically a MB, HD, RAM, Power Switch, and AC adapter plugged in, no case, no KB) and unplugged the fan powered on and guess what it booted!  I think its something to do with the power management in the bios, and if the fan is sending some information that the bios thinks with cause complete  hardware failure like a slow RPM, or signs that the fan is about to fail, the bios power management won't allow the system to boot. Well that's my take on this.  I stress that unless you feel really comfortable with taking apart a laptop I'd take it to a professional, I'm only doing it because this is what i do for a living. Thanks going to go and see how much a 450863-001 will cost!

Student
terrytrout
Message 7 of 17 (9,405 Views)

Hi

just wondered if anyone can help me.

I have a hp dv9700 and after use, i shut the lid until next time i need to use it. The last time i opened it, the screen went blue and then black. The screen will not give me anything , even when starting up. I have had it at the local PC shop and they have checked the screen and have connected the laptop to another monitor and the laptop starts up ok on the other monitor. this confirming that the hardrive  is ok. They said that the lcd cable that connects to the screen might be broken, therefore, i replaced the cable with a new one, but still the screen  fails to work. The diffuser has been checked too and this is also ok. 

Any ideas.

regards

terry

Student
don_jay
Message 8 of 17 (8,726 Views)

I need help too, please! My 5yo Pavilion dv9700 has just developed a problem. Screen froze suddenly and pixelated in a weird "tv loss of signal strength" kind of way - I mean lots of 5mm very thin horizontal lines. I switched it off manually by holding down the power button then tried switching it back on put all it does is a continuous cycle of trying to start up then switching itself off after 1 second. It keeps on going like this for hours on end. If I quickly press F10, the blue lights and fan stay on but no picture ... My laptop computer gets daily 10-18hr usage and does run very, very hot. I'm on my second battery and two months ago bought a cooling fan/pad for it. Never had a day's trouble until now ... ? Please help. Thank you.

Student
Yesiamsassytoo
Message 9 of 17 (6,564 Views)

I have a DV9700

I had the same issue with the startup cycling after a few minutes

I have gotten to the point i get a spalsh screen where the F key options are available. I can get into diagnostics and i can get into the bios...no problem

If i try to boot to the CD or to the HDD it reboots just before it should actually start that process....

I hit the f11 key to try and do a system restore- it reboots.....i try to boot to a new OS installation DVD....it reboots....i try just logging into windows OS on the HDD it reboots....pretty much the only thing i can get into is diagnostics and of course the full bios...

Ran memory check-was fine

Ran primary HDD check (it actually sd nor supported no IDE device ) (i have a sata HDD in it)

Ran secondary HDD check- it came through with flying colors

power supply is good and battery is shot (old over 3 years doeesnt hold a charge for very long)

i have tried all of these things with and without battery in

i dont see an AHCI option in the bios (phoenix) .i know sometimes ACHI and IDE can conflict

I dont think it is the fan as i get into the bios and i am in there for HOURS but of course like i said if i do antyhig else it reboots within 10 seconds of me trying to access anything else

It originally had vista (it is 64 bit capable but runs in 32bit) i had upgraded it two years ago to Windows 7 enterprise (i work as a tech and got a copy of it) and it ran like a champ forever...then one day the screen turned blue than black and now this....

Anyhelp or suggestions would be great

Student
djonesil
Message 10 of 17 (6,093 Views)

I've been trying to boot up my dv9700 laptop, but the lights and fan turn on momentarily and then shut off. Then it repeats the cycle until I remove the battery. Any way I can fix it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation