Question

Top Student
Barbossa
Message 1 of 1 (240 Views)

Pavillion DV5 won't boot

Hi!

Here is my problem: a friend of mine has this HP notebook, a Pavillion DV5-1130ej. He came to me with a bad hard drive (bad blocks) and I replaced it. But then, I was unable to boot the notebook with any boot device. Trying to boot from hard disk shows a "No system disk or no hard disk found", although the BIOS can test it and it passes all tests. Trying to boot from CD/DVD or USB gives a frozen blank screen, no answer from keyboard (caps-lock or ctrl-alt-del won't work).

I tried most of the troubleshooting I found on forums: pressed the power button for up to a minute, reset the BIOS by removing and replacing the battery (BIOS is fully accessible btw), tried other USB ports, tried other OSs (Vista, XP, Ubuntu) to no avail. Using F11 for system restore at the BIOS screen gives the same blank screen. My friend doesn't have the recovery disks (left them at Israel), but if it can't boot from a Vista DVD I doubt it would boot from any other optical disk.

Both RAM and HDD test 100% ok on the BIOS test.

So, the question is: is there anything else I could try? Anyone with a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation