Question

Top Student
pjama
Message 1 of 3 (221 Views)

Pavillion DV7 3110TX won't get past windows splash screen

Hi,

My HP Pavillion dv7 won't get past the windows splash screen in either startup repair mode or normal mode. Going into F2 System Diagnostics, (which takes ages to initialise so I'll go from memory here) and running a disk 1 test I get

Short DST: FAILED

Failure ID 9LPB3H-52J6H8-XD0021-60UA03

Presumably this means the disk has failed and is going to cost me a lot of money and time but is there any hope of rcovering from this apart from replacing the drive? Any perls of wisdom as to what sort of drive I'll need and where I can get it?

Thanks

P

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (213 Views)

Re: Pavillion DV7 3110TX won't get past windows splash screen

Hi,

The short Disk Self Test ( DST ) would indicate the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the start-up failure.

It's pretty straight forward and not too expensive to replace the HDD and a brief guide on this is detailed below.

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

750Gb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 47 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive - the procedure for this is described in the document Here.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
pjama
Message 3 of 3 (177 Views)

Re: Pavillion DV7 3110TX won't get past windows splash screen

Wow. Thanks for the comprehensive advice. I have purchased a similar drive to the one suggested and recovered using the DVDs I made when I got the laptop.

Now to go through an reinstall all the software and updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation