Question

Tutor
joeyfan
Message 1 of 5 (152 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavillion g6 Windows restart within 1 minute of being connected to a network

My Pavillion g6 laptop works just fine until I connect it to a network.  Wired or wireless network doesn't matter, within 60 seconds of connecting the Windows 7 "Logging off" screen comes up and the laptop restarts.  I have the standard wired (Realtek) and wireless (?) adapters.  I updated to the latest wired adapter drivers from Realtek's site but still have the same issue.  I have run a full virus scan, a thorough Malwarebytes scan and chkdsk but no junk or errors are found. 

HP Startup says the HDD is failing and I bought a replacement HDD I'm about to clone but I have doubts this is the root cause because the restart ONLY happens when network connection is made.  If I leave it disconnected it runs fine, and the HDD has taken hours of scanning and chkdsk without any sign of trouble.  I'm going to be really unhappy if I put the new drive in and hav ethe same problem. 

Any suggestions on what else to try before cloning and replacing the HDD?

Tutor
joeyfan
Message 2 of 5 (151 Views)

Re: Pavillion g6 Windows restart within 1 minute of being connected to a network

I forgot to mention I've done a restore back to factory original and it is still experiencing the problem.

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 3 of 5 (133 Views)

Re: Pavillion g6 Windows restart within 1 minute of being connected to a network

[ Edited ]

Hi JoeyFan,

I understand you are having an issue Pavilion g6 Windows restart within 1 minute of being connected to a network.

I would start by making sure the drivers are the ones for your Pavilion

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

Once in that site and you put your model number in you can look at updates and different things on the HDD failing.

Please contact me back if this does not resolve your issue and include the model/product number?

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
joeyfan
Message 4 of 5 (118 Views)

It turns out my laptop picked up the Pihar rootkit, Boot.Pihar.MBR to be specific.  I used the beta rootkit hunter/destroyer from Malwarebytes but that took care of the problem.  Happy to have resolved the problem, hope this helps somebody else someday!

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 5 of 5 (109 Views)

Hi JoeyFan,

Thanks. Glad all is well. Have a great week.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation