Question

Honor Student
d_p_11
Message 1 of 6 (233 Views)
Accepted Solution

Presario C700 won't load desktop

I have a Presario C700. It's loading on to the username page, I can enter my password and it goes to the welcome page but it stops there. The circle is still moving for a few minutes before it freezes, it does not load to the desktop.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (226 Views)

Re: Presario C700 won't load desktop

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If the above tests both pass, see if the notebook will boot in Safe Mode.  To do this, shutdown the notebook, then tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter - does it load in this mode?

Regards,

DP-K  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
d_p_11
Message 3 of 6 (213 Views)

Hi David

Thanks for getting back to me. I am now back into my computer, but I'll tell you what result I got from the test in case its something I need to be worried about.

I did the long hard drive test and got the error message 'replace hard disk 1' warranty ID - error code 10008. I then did the short hard drive test and the memory test and the computer passed both.

I managed to get into safe mode (having failed to get into it yesterday) and then upon restarting I've now found I can get back into my computer in normal mode.

I'm hopeful that this is the computer fixed but I'm still not really sure what happened. Anyway, thanks for your help

David

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (209 Views)

Hi,

As the Hard Drive failed the comprehensive test, I would say you ought to consider replacing the drive - I would definetely recommend making a backup of alll your personal files etc as soon as possible.

Once you've made a backup, you could try the following.

Click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

After the above process has completed, run the comprehensive HDD test in the bios again - if it fails, I would strongly recommend replacing it.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
d_p_11
Message 5 of 6 (200 Views)

Hi

I followed the process you suggested, and then did the comprehensive test again, and the computer passed.

Thanks very much for your help

David

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 6 (192 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped :smileyhappy:

All the best,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation