Question

Honor Student
stumped0516
Message 1 of 3 (347 Views)

Presario F500 won't start....

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to read and offer suggestions.  I have an older Presario f500 laptop and it won't start.  Today I purchased a replacement adapter thinking that perhaps that was the problem and nothing.  I am assuming the battery is dead and think that there is a short somewhere between where the adapter plugs in and whatever makes it start.  The laptop is old and needs to be replaced, but all of my stuff isn't backed up and I need to turn it on one more time to back up the rest of my stuff.  Should I purchase a new battery and see if I can bypass the adapter issue and perhaps turn it on that way to at least backup the items I haven't saved yet?  I know nothing about computers and don't think the computer has enough value to warrant sending it away for service.  When you plug in the adapter, the charging light comes on for about a minute and then goes off.  The suggestion from the Geek Squad today was to purchase the adapter and allow the battery to fully power charge, but that isn't an option as there seems to be a connectivity issue.  If you try and power it up, some fans will run softly and occasionally it will shut down and then try to power up with no results.  Any suggestions?

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 3 (338 Views)

Re: Presario F500 won't start....

Sounds like maybe not battery or power adaptor issue - you said fan turns on for a while.

If you are ready to get a new laptop, one way to get the files off the hard drive is to buy a hard drive enclosure, and make the hard drive an external drive.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Honor Student
stumped0516
Message 3 of 3 (305 Views)

Re: Presario F500 won't start....

Curious...even though the fans turn on, could it still be an electrical issue causing the battery to not charge and the computer to not run with an adapter cable?  Any other suggestions for things to try before I junk it? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation