Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game (5514 Views)
Honor Student
macbeth8
Message 11 of 100 (2,042 Views)

Re: Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game

I also have the same problem here. And I am almost sure it is an ATI driver problem. I tried to play the game (Mafia I) in

- Windows 7 64bit (from academic alliance),

- Windows 7 32bit (pre-installed),

- Ubuntu Linux in Wine and in

- Win XP in VirtualBox 

Under all these circumstances the laptop crashes (turns itself off, then, after a couple of seconds it turns itself back on). Even when the game is running in virtual machine in Linux, the crash involves not only the virtualbox, but also the host OS and the laptop restarts. 

I wasn't able to find any useful information in unix logs or system log in windows. I've also disabled "automatic restart on system failure", but that makes no difference. 

The temperature is also not a problem, the Mafia I game crashes when the temperature on graphic card is ~ 75 deg C, and I tried playing HOM&MV, which never causes these crashes and during the gameplay the graphic core temperature is above 90 deg C. 

I haven't found any solution to this problem :smileysad: 

I tried to contact ATI with this driver issue, but I highly doubt that would make any difference...

Student
play2jens
Message 12 of 100 (2,002 Views)

Got the same problem... I'm wondering if every owner of a ProBook 6540b has this kind of crashes?

Anyway, I tried playing on battery, but this makes most games lag pretty hard.

It's strange how this happens with "the sims 2" and "Enemy territory", and not with crysis!

Hope there is a solution soon

Honor Student
mathias-aland
Message 13 of 100 (1,963 Views)

Same problem here on my 6540b. I've tested both Win7 and WinXP, no difference.

But I can run stress tests (3dmark06, OCCT, FurMark and LinX Linpack) and some games without any problems.

FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage and Wolfenstein: ET makes it crash for example, but Alien Swarm seems to be fine.

Intern
azmo
Message 14 of 100 (1,831 Views)

Same problem here. I found using PowerPlay for Battery and AC set both as "maximum battery" to be a working fix, but fps drops. Anyway I prefer lower FPS than sudden shutdown in the middle of an online multiplayer game...

Just my 2 cents.

Intern
azmo
Message 15 of 100 (1,791 Views)

New firmware solves this issue?
I don't know, changelog does not mention it, but I recently upgraded my ProBook 6540b firmware with latest release F.0A and, after several hours, the notebook didn't crashed again. (ehm, really... it crashed only once but before the upgrade crashes were many).

I upgraded with this: Firmware Download Page

Anyway I hope HP will fix it for good soon because this problem is really annoying.

Just my 2 cents.

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 16 of 100 (1,787 Views)

Thank you, azmo. I will try that. Actually, it was after a firmware upgrade, that I started to experience the problems, and I didn't find a way to roll back.

Also, I have a plea. Should anyone find a fix, please let the rest of us know about it. Thank you. :smileyhappy:

Intern
azmo
Message 17 of 100 (1,755 Views)

Update: Unfortunately the BIOS upgrade didn't solved this issue... the notebook still shuts down... :smileysad:

Honor Student
majesky
Message 18 of 100 (1,740 Views)

hello, I've got the same problem here. In my case laptop is rebooting while playing Counter-Strike Source  only on external AC power.  I've done some testing with the help of GPU-Z tool and It appears that on external power GPU temperatures are much higher than on battery. On AC, GPU can reach 80 degrees C (the moment of shutdown) , On battery it's max. is about 70. I've looked through the ATI card driver settings but didn't find anything that could be connected to power/temperature problem. Maybe the problem is in the card driver itself ? Unfortunately I was unable to find any other versions of GPU drivers for this laptop :/

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 19 of 100 (1,738 Views)

Thanks for chiming in, majesky. So the machine never crashes when running on battery? Does anyone else have this experience? I tried this the other day, while playing L4D2. I was running on external power, but as I disconnected the power to prevent shutdown, framerate dropped significantly.

Intern
azmo
Message 20 of 100 (1,731 Views)

I won't disconnect AC anymore. Just configured PowerPlay to "Maximum Battery" for Battery *and* AC.

The system doesn't shutdown anymore but the framerate sucks a lot... :smileysad:

This is sooooo annoying...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation