Question
Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game
Replies (99)

Honor Student
mathias-aland
Message 21 of 100 (1,311 Views)

Re: Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game

Yes, changing the PowerPlay setting to downclock the GPU works for me too, BUT THIS IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION. COME ON HP, PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!!!

It's not good for your reputation to just ignore this problem.

And the fact that your e-mail support just points me to the online support system for Finland, which doesn't seem to support 6540b, is not making things better.

Honor Student
majesky
Message 22 of 100 (1,303 Views)

Hi again. I've checked again and it seems you're right - my laptop never crashed on battery because of powerplay settings that cut half of the GPU clock. After changing powerplay settings to max battery even on external power everything seems to be ok. But that's no solution. I hope HP will soon find cure to our problem.... 

Intern
azmo
Message 23 of 100 (1,272 Views)

That's right! That powerplay thing is a dumb workaround to let us play while connected to external AC... but it is like playing on battery, so low fps... I don't know why but in my office we have other probooks like mine and some of those suffer from the shutdown issue, other do not... the machines are identical, same GPU etc. So, could this issue be related to a defective GPU? If so there aren't many solution apart changing the hardware itself...

Intern
azmo
Message 24 of 100 (1,251 Views)

Hhmm... I was wondering about the 90W power supply... Maybe it is too weak to sustain everything when the system is under stressing conditions, like playing an FPS game... If it is the case the fan, which should cool down things, could not make it, temperature would raise and system would shut down for safety... it may be? I will try with a more powerful AC adapter... and report here, if I'll not burn up the probook! :smileyvery-happy:

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 25 of 100 (1,243 Views)

It's worth a shot. Let us know how that works out!

Intern
azmo
Message 26 of 100 (1,241 Views)

[ Edited ]

D'oh! :smileysad: Shutdown!!!

I'm fed up with this cr*p...

Honor Student
macbeth8
Message 27 of 100 (1,168 Views)

As I wrote before, temperature is probably not the issue here. 

I've got temperatures ~75 deg celsius, when Mafia 1 shuts down the notebook

During playing HOMAM V the temp goes up to 90 deg celsius and the notebook didn't restarts, not even once.

This problem also occurs in linux (playing in wine), that has the same ati drivers. I didn't try it with open-source ati implementation yet...

That's why I'm deducing that this is the issue of ati driver... 

Intern
azmo
Message 28 of 100 (1,157 Views)

Hhmm.. don't know... we have three identical ProBooks here, one shuts down, the others don't.

Same hardware, same operating system, same ATI driver and version... HP should really take this problem into consideration.

Student
milaidin1
Message 29 of 100 (1,146 Views)

Hallo!

I've got the same problem... seems to be common, the workaround works for the moment but is not(!) a acceptable solution.

Has anyone contacted HP on this topic?

Unfortunately, I cannot send an eMail to HP because their eMail Support doesn't list the Probook 6540b and i am unable to find a general service adress.

Same Problem with the Online Chat.

If someone knows the right mailing adress, i would be grateful to read it here. :-)

As I am german, but living in France at the moment, i cannot phone the german hotline as well - my french phone company do not like to connect to the 0180... service number, which is a reserved number for costumer services etc. in Germany.

I'm afraid my french isn't good enough to discuss this problem with the french hotline. (Especially since it looks like a bigger problem that is completely HPs fault...)

I really want this problem to be solved, any hints by other users are welcome!

(And - by the way - a official statement by HP would also be appreciated!)

Honor Student
macbeth8
Message 30 of 100 (1,138 Views)

azmo: maybe you're right that it's just a problem of some notebooks.

On the czech notebook forum one guy returned his notebook and they gave him a new one, which exhibited the same behaviour. Then they gave him the third notebook and it still shuts down, which probably means that even guys at HP don't know, where the problem is (why would they gave someone new, which they know doesn't work properly...)

Other four or five guys reports the same problems with shutdowns while playing games like NHL 08, CouterStrike 1.6, GTA:smileyfrustrated:A, WOW, or using Unreal Engine...

Only one guy reports no problems with restarts...

Maybe a design flaw or sth like that.... I have no idea...

Unfortunately, the new catalyst drivers (10.10) and the bios update (F.0A) didn't bring any changes for me, regarding this problem...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation