Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game (5513 Views)
Intern
azmo
Message 31 of 100 (1,406 Views)

Re: Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game

My ProBook shuts down when playing Urban Terror (OpenGL) under Linux but it don't when I play games like Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 etc under Windows (DirectX). A friend's ProBook shuts down when playing Urban Terror (OpenGL) under Windows... I don't know if OpenGL driver could be the source of this issue, but I know for sure another friend plays Urban Terror OpenGL under Linux without any problem... so, HP, what should we expect from you? Is anybody - tagged HP - listening out there? Is there a solution to this problem? Should we give those machines back and get some other brand notebooks?!??

Top Student
szejk
Message 32 of 100 (1,366 Views)

I've got the same problem.

I know this notebook was not meant to play games, but it shouldn't have problems with games like CS 1.6. I've cut fps to 70, and the tempature isn't going over 68-70* C, but it doeasn't help. Sometimes it crashes after few minutes, sometimes it lasts even an hour or two. So it's not overheating.

If only I had knew this before I bought it, I wouldn't even bother with HP.

Top Student
haiden3567
Message 33 of 100 (1,304 Views)

I have the same issue while playing CS 1.6 which is a very old game. When I play using 1600x900 widescreen resolution, the laptop restarts after 1 minute. Then I switched resolution to 640x480 (I remind you that we are living in year 2010) and I was able to play for 1 hour without restart.

If this HP was my own I would be very frustrated, but since it is my business laptop I can only say that this is very alarming for HP. I will wait for a solution (or a workaround) of this problem for a few months after which I will escalate this issue to company's supply manager and a mass mail to all employees to avoid HP.

Intern
azmo
Message 34 of 100 (1,223 Views)

Switched to another ProBook 6540b: same result... poweroff and restart.

I'm gonna burn this **bleep** crap and head for other brand notebook.

Goodbye HP. Thank you for nothing!

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 35 of 100 (1,220 Views)

That sucks, azmo. I've pretty much given up too, but I simply can't afford a new computer at this point. But when I do, it's back to Lenovo.

In the meantime, the stuff about OpenGL versus DirectX is very interesting. I shall try to do some testing.

Also, I have some other problems with this laptop, and I wonder if you guys share those experiences — maybe they are related, though I suspect they are not. Relatively often, it refuses to wake up from sleep or hibernation. The screen stays black, the keys are unresponsive, and it's incredibly hot. Also, some times I get BSOD with a power failure. Does this sound familiar to you guys?

Intern
azmo
Message 36 of 100 (1,202 Views)

Nix1402 wrote:

That sucks, azmo. I've pretty much given up too, but I simply can't afford a new computer at this point. But when I do, it's back to Lenovo.

In the meantime, the stuff about OpenGL versus DirectX is very interesting. I shall try to do some testing.

Also, I have some other problems with this laptop, and I wonder if you guys share those experiences — maybe they are related, though I suspect they are not. Relatively often, it refuses to wake up from sleep or hibernation. The screen stays black, the keys are unresponsive, and it's incredibly hot. Also, some times I get BSOD with a power failure. Does this sound familiar to you guys?

Yeah Nix, that sucks a lot! I don't think it is related to overheating at all. Yesterday I did some tests logging the ACPI temperatures under Linux with OpenGL game and the highest for the GPU, at the time of shutdown, was 75°C... that is definetely not overheating. It happened with 65°C too, so I feel this is merely a software issue. When I played DirectX games under Windows 7 I felt far more heat coming from the fan than with my OpenGL game (Urban Terror)... I haven't experienced any shutdown under DirectX games, talking about resource draining titles like Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 etc.

I'm gonna try another 6540b for the very last time... last switch, then switch off and never see you again HP.

For what concerne the standby/hibernation problem... I experienced it a couple of time, but I'm used to shutdown the PC when I'm done so it couldn't be your case. Another problem that arise from time to time is right after a reboot, the PC speaker emits a crackling sound than a lightgrey screen appears with a weird message about a BIOS error. Powering off and powering back on solves the problem... I'm using the latest BIOS version to date, F.0A.

Top Student
szejk
Message 37 of 100 (1,181 Views)

I'll post a warning on every forum, where people recommended me this Probook, about this issue, so they won't have to go through the same.

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 38 of 100 (1,173 Views)

I made some quick research today, and found out the games I'm having most troubles with (the vast majority) are both OpenGL and Direct X. :smileysad:

An incomplete list 

• FlatOut 2 (Dx)
  • Guild Wars (Dx) 
  • Left4Dead2 (Dx)
  • Neverwinter Nights (OpenGL)
  • Portal (OpenGL) 
  • Trine (Dx)
  • Rome: Total War (Dx)
  • Warcraft III (Dx)

The machine should be well capable of running all these games. WC III can be played on a Pentium II machine, for crying out loud.

Intern
azmo
Message 39 of 100 (1,157 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nix1402 wrote:

I made some quick research today, and found out the games I'm having most troubles with (the vast majority) are both OpenGL and Direct X. :smileysad:

An incomplete list ...

Ok, good job Nix... I don't play that many games and, unfortunately, the only one I really play with is the one that shuts down the crapbox!!! Damnit!

Top Student
szejk
Message 40 of 100 (1,152 Views)

Well, we can be sure of one thing. It is NOT overheating problem. The temperature isn't going over 73*, when my ProBook shuts down, and I'm playing only CS 1.6. This is simply ridiculous.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation