Question
Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game
Replies (99)

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 41 of 100 (1,525 Views)

Re: Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I think also we can rule overheating out, although the symptoms are very similar. For example, if I manage to play for 20 minutes before it powers off, I can turn it back on and go right back into the game, and have it power off after a few minutes, while the third time will make it power off immediately. Come to think about it, perhaps it's due to an insufficient power supply?

I will try to make a more comprehensive list this weekend, and also do some game testing, as I was stupid enough to buy a bunch of new games recently. I will also add other games mentioned in this thread. Perhaps we can see if there is a common denominator. As far as I can tell now, all the games affected use some sort of 3D rendering.

Intern
azmo
Message 42 of 100 (1,509 Views)

Nix1402 wrote:

Yeah, I think also we can rule overheating out, although the symptoms are very similar...

Last night I did an intensive gaming test session ;-) and the mothercrap shut down three times. Two times in 5 minutes from reboot, and another time in the very middle of the session. No signs of overheating, max temp. reached was 71°C. That is not overheating at all!

Intern
azmo
Message 43 of 100 (1,498 Views)

My very last switch. Another ProBook 6540b... using default firmware version F.07 seems to work at higher temps than those reached before (max 87°C)... no shutdown yet. I tried to upgrade to version F.0A (latest), shutdown at 74°C... got back to version F.07, no shutdown until now... still trying with my usual "testing platform"... I'll keep you up to date.

This problem is making me freaking mad!!!

Student
michalvrabel
Message 44 of 100 (1,472 Views)

Similar problem here on probook 6550b(graphic card hd540v).  fails at 75°C. I think the fan isn't rotating at its maximum speed, in hwinfo32 i'm reading only 30% GPU fan speed (i'm not sure this number is right), definitely it isn't 100%.

Top Student
Arghhhhhhhh
Message 45 of 100 (1,469 Views)

My Problem is quite similiar . In my Case the problem does not occur in power saing mode although the performance suffers (power saver mode >.<) . I have recently tried Using the  editing the High performance mode  setting  for Procesor Power management to min5%-Max 65% . That also seems to work , better performance than power saver mode still suk. But atleast no crashes

Honor Student
Nemezis
Message 46 of 100 (1,443 Views)

Same problem here

Extremely disappointing :smileymad:

the games I have tried

Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, a game released 2004!!!!! and that i play on my netbook - results in a crash

Other games that I have tried (just for the sake of the test)

COD4 - crashes after 3 to 5 minutes (runs fine on my personal Acer Timeline 3810TZG which is a far less powerfull machine, as well as on my personal Dell Latitude!!)

NFS Carbon - also crashes almost immediately.

----

This is absolutely ridiculous.

OS is Win Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Ironically enough it seems that teh cheaper 6555b (same model, same GPU, but with an AMD CPU) does not have this problem.

I have tried furmark tests and they run fine, ATItool however seems to be on the edge of blowing up the system (this is unusual furmark is much harder on the GPU). I have also visited a service shop the result was "nothing seems to be wrong with your system)

Honor Student
Nemezis
Message 47 of 100 (1,440 Views)

BTW not sure if this is related but this laptop has an extremly POOR WiFI radio.

Again compared to Both my Acer Timeline and the latitude I own. On one and the same router (tplink) the HP can hardly hold a connection on 20-25 feets (2 brik wals) while both other computers do connect with ease on a 40 feet distance + one more wall).

Intern
azmo
Message 48 of 100 (1,387 Views)

To date (and crossing fingers) it seems that, using version F.07 firmware, the crapbox doesn't shutdown anymore...

Hours of UrT gameplay and NO shutdown at all... I downgraded from F.0A which caused shutdown...

Honor Student
Nemezis
Message 49 of 100 (1,381 Views)

question:

Where can we download this firmware from ? (i personally have never tempered with the BIOS stock firmware, but if such a "downgrade" is required ...

question 2:

Is any of you guys using the embeded TPD and/or  bitlocked  HDD encryption? I came across some postings refering to potential problems with this particular model if the TPM is activated and or HDD encryption is used

Intern
azmo
Message 50 of 100 (1,372 Views)

Answer 1: http://goo.gl/gvytw

Answer 2: dunno, sry...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation