Question
Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game
Replies (99)

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 61 of 100 (1,559 Views)

Re: Probook 6540b shuts down while playing a game

'ello,

I haven't had much time gaming lately, I've been swamped with work, although I have managed to game a little. I tried underclocking the CPU as Mathias suggested, and I have not experienced any crashes since. That doesn't mean it won't happen, and to be honest, I don't think this is the ultimate solution.

I've played GTA: Vice City for sessions of ~45 minutes, without crashes. I also tried playing Rome: Total War yesterday, for maybe 25 minutes. This game has crashed on me a lot in the past, but with varying frequency. Some times, I get to play a couple of battles in a row (one battle = ~ 30 minutes), other times it crashes almost immediately after the map is loaded.

Next weekend, if I have time, I will try the games that have proved most troublesome for me (Guild Wars and Rome) and let it run for at least a couple of hours. I expect it to crash, but I will report back.

This might be me, but I've found this problem to come in waves. Some times, I get lucky and can play for hours without end, and then the next three weeks every game crashes within two minutes — even if I haven't done any changes in the setup.

Top Student
haiden3567
Message 62 of 100 (1,436 Views)

Can anyone of you unhappy owners of this HP model push this thing to the press? It has been too long without any answer from HP.

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 63 of 100 (1,423 Views)

Yeah, mine still crashes, even after setting maximum CPU usage to 99%. Haven't tried rolling back on the BIOS yet. Pushing it to the press? Maybe. If someone supplies a draft, I will be more than happy to perfect it. And yes, it has been long for HP not to respond. They probably know it's a problem, don't have a solution, and don't care enough to find one. After all, we already gave them our money.

BTW, I noticed this thread comes up on the first page on a Google search on "hp probook 6540b problems". :smileyhappy:

Tutor
Greenman19
Message 64 of 100 (1,421 Views)

I also tried the 99% thing, also reinstalled ATI driver AGAIN, still freezing.

Honor Student
Nemezis
Message 65 of 100 (1,401 Views)

Ok.... from my perspective right now this seems like a bad driver that either overclocks the GPU or results in a higher energy consumption that leads to a system overload and crash.

What worked out for me is to set the Ati Power Play option to "maximum battery life" - this is a setting either available in power management or in the Ati Catalyst center, or in both places depending on your OS. 

Maximum battery life setting drastically reduces performance but at least the system is stable.

I have also attempted with a manually moded driver which seems to work as well but at the end i decided to go with the standard HP provided driver.

Note for ATI mobility video cards - the system manufacturer is responsible for providing and managing the driver (i.e. HP not ATI)

That is it from me - a crap software, probably with no testing whatsoever 

Top Student
haiden3567
Message 66 of 100 (1,149 Views)

I tried to play Counter Strike 1.6 in 1280*760 resolution with "maximum performance" option in Ati Power Play and the game crashed in about 30 seconds.

Then I used Nemezis's advice and set the Ati Power Play option to "maximum battery life" and then I played and played and played. And then the game crashed after 30 minutes of play :manmad:

I am giving up on this model, I will try to replace this model with something that is not HP, I'll ask for Asus or Toshiba maybe..

While waiting for a new model I will check this thread periodically to see if there is a solution to this problem.

Intern
azmo
Message 67 of 100 (1,006 Views)

After a looong time spent trying every kind of software configurations, old firmwares, new firmwares, different video drivers, different operating systems etc., I came to the conclusion that this notebook could have been a good platform for gaming BUT it isn't due to this annoying issue. That could be ok, if you want to play seriously you have to buy a desktop/tower PC with state-of-the-art graphic adapters, multiple cores, lots of RAM, coolers and so on... but the thing that let me so down is that HP really doesn't care a sh*t about this problem. So, the only thing I can do now is to advice people to NOT buy this notebook if interested in games.

Tutor
Nix1402
Message 68 of 100 (969 Views)

Yeah, I still can't figure out what trigggers it. I've started saving up for a new one, and ditch this piece of junk. I'll probably go with Lenovo or Mac, as I have good experiences with them.

It pisses me off too, that HP doesn't seem to mind, so I've started a boycot campaign against them at work and when friends ask me for advice on computers. :smileyvery-happy:

Student
Gajduk
Message 69 of 100 (874 Views)

I was having the same problem for a long time and after trying every possible advice I found i still can't resolve the problem. I am sorry to state but this is a really bad computer if you're interested in anything more than Word or Internet browsing. I will also advice everyone not to buy this piece of hardware. That's all we can do, since HP showed no interrest in our problem, which was more or less to be expected.

Top Student
Iridis_Alpha
Message 70 of 100 (825 Views)

Hi, here Pavillion DV6 1215-sl: same problem, freeze, crash etc. 30 sec. (more or less) after starting a videogame.

SOLVED setting 99% maximum CPU usage!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation