Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I have updated BIOS for my 8440p but now, it doesnt work. The caplock and numlock led blink with a pause time. I tried recover with thumbdrive and hold Windows+B (or hold 4 arrow keys) while power on it, the notebook still does not work. Any one know how to recover my 8440p. THanks in advance,

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Did you try changing the extension of the BIOS file on the usb thumbdrive to .bin? I have heard of people having success with that method.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank erico,

Yes, I following a lot of guidance on the internet but there is no way to recover it successfully. I see the thumb drive led does not blink or turn on while I following the guides. I also search on HP support page but no info. If some one had ever successfully recovered bios for elitebook series please let me know, thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi

I have the same problem with BIOS corrrupted with the elitebook 8440p. Did you fix it? Thanks a lot in advance.

HP Recommended
has anyone been able to resolve the bios update / corrupt issue ?
HP Recommended

Sorry

I had to replace the mainboard

HP Recommended

The ProBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum regarding this notebook.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Here is what I did and definitely wored for me.

1) Power off the affected computer

2) Remove the battery, the hard disk and all other peripherals.

3) Remove the power cord as well.

4) Scale back the RAM as low as possible (I had 8 GB DDR3, I managed to get it working with 4 GB DDR3)

5)  Find a 1 GB (I haven't tried with other sizes but 1 GB should suffice) USB drive.

6)  On an alternative laptop, download the latest bios file.  In this case, it would be "sp54348".

7) Double click and extract to any drive.  In my case its C:\SWSetup\sp54348.

😎 Double click the ROM.cab.  Extract efibios.sig and rom.bin.

9) Rename them to bios name, in this case they would become 68CCU.sig and 68CCU.bin.

10)  Plug in the 1 GB usb drive.

11)  Double click hpqFlash.exe from C:\SWSetup\sp54348.

12)  It would format the 1 GB usb drive and copy some files to its root.

13)  In this case it would be 68CCU.BIN, config.sys, eRompaq.exe, glp2.txt and KERNEL.sys.  (enable hidden files if they are not visible.

14)  Now this is the important step.

a)  Create the following folder structure "Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Current" at the root

b) Copy the files from step 9) into the Current folder.

15) Safely eject the flash drive.

16)  Plug into the laptop whose bios is broken.

17)  Connect just the power cable.

18)  Hold down the windows + B (or V) key, hit the power key and let go all three.

19)  If all goes well, the eRompaq.exe would run and with a highlighted Update/Exit menu.  Use arrow keys to select Update, hit enter and it would automatically recognize the new .bin and .sig files from those folders.  The key prompted for me was the F10 key to continue flashing.  Follow the instructions to the T.  Once done, select exit and it would power down the machine.  Hit the power button again and the display would still be blank and it would automatically load the new bios.  The machine would again power automatically.  The next time you hit the power button, you should get into the HP logo and viola, you are in business.

Remember, its patience that pays.  This process has been tested on 8440p and 8560p.  These are elitebooks and the process should work for all of them.  And remember if TPM was enabled when everything went kaput, then good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.