Question

Student
LouCregan
Message 1 of 16 (48,956 Views)

SMART Hard Disk Error 301/303

I have a Compaq Presario CQ62 and I bought it half way through 2010 (so the warranty is still good). I've only been using it for checking emails, doing school work and watching youtube.

When I tried to turn my computer on recently, the screen came up telling me that there was a problem with my hard disk. It said that my hard disk had encountered Error 301 and then told me to run the hard disk test. When I ran that it got stuck part way though the 'Quick Test' saying they had encountered Error 303. 

Now my computer won't go past that point. I rang HP and they said that I had to get it replaced, but I don't know if I should just take it to them or get my retailer to run the tests for me to see if there is another problem, or if my retailed can fix the problem with my current Hard Disk. 

What should I do?

Thanks for the help!

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 16 (48,921 Views)

Re: SMART Hard Disk Error 301/303

Have HP swap the drive.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Student
    adin0wens
    Message 3 of 16 (45,986 Views)

[ Edited ]
    1. I get the same error code.  Eventually, the drive would not even load windows, and recovering prog. didn't do anything either. Just get a friend to burn you a windows 7 disk. I payed 800 for a branmdnew computer, screw that, get someone to burn you a disk. My opinion, they have a prog that crashes windows, to force you to either buy a win 7 disk, or hard drive, for once the cust. got one off on their {Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion}
    Student
    sarvjeet333
    Message 4 of 16 (43,601 Views)

what can i do for that problem error 303

Honor Student
    Snapper77
    Message 5 of 16 (35,994 Views)

i got the same problem with my HP Pavilion G4-1003TX, Just like LouCregan

"When I tried to turn my computer on recently, the screen came up telling me that there was a problem with my hard disk. It said that my hard disk had encountered Error 301 and then told me to run the hard disk test. When I ran that it got stuck part way though the 'Quick Test' saying they had encountered Error 303."

what should i do? still have the waranty time.. but what will happen to my data?? is it gone? :smileysad:

Provost
    DavidPK
    Message 6 of 16 (35,988 Views)

@snapper77,

As your notebook is still under warranty, you definitely want to contact HP and get them to replace the HDD.

One possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
    ****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
    ****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
    Snapper77
    Message 7 of 16 (35,983 Views)

i already try that, but the hdd isn't detected.. i only need to back up some important data, but i don't know what else i could do... T-T
    Provost
    DavidPK
    Message 8 of 16 (35,972 Views)

@snapper77,

Another option would be to remove the HDD and mount it in an External Caddy such as the example on the link below - then connect this to another PC and see if you can retrieve your files this way.

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Hard-Drive-Case-Enclosure/dp/B001AAVA08/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331910884...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
    ****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
    ****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
    Gunsports
    Message 9 of 16 (34,873 Views)

4 month old HP pavilion, just crashed. Diagnostics says passes CPU, Hard Drive & boot tests, fails SMART test, error 303. What can I do? Need machine quick!
    Top Student
    WillyS
    Message 10 of 16 (34,206 Views)

Weird.. My 3 month old HP Pavilion P7 1245 also got the same error. I get the blue screen everytime I turn on my computer. After running a diagnostic vision test, everyone also passed except for S.M.A.R.T, which gave an error 303. Sucks how my computer will need repairs after only 3 months of being used. My computer is now being sent to HP's repair centre. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation