Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a problem with my HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC, model 15-e055st, which I purchased two months ago with Windows 8 pre-installed. I susequently upgraded the operating system to Windows 8.1 and all seemed to work OK.  I then used the HP Support Assistant to do some important updates, which included the BIOS and other software.  Following the HP update the computer would not Shut Down or Sleep, but Restart worked OK. When I attempt to Shut Down or Sleep, the screen goes black but the power light and the wifi light on the keyboard remain on and the fan is still operating.  The machine will not recover from this situation without me first doing a hard reset by keeping the power button pressed for about five seconds.

I trıed restoring the software to the condition prior to the HP update but the problem still existed.  Two days ago I refreshed the computer, which rolled the operating system back from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.0 but the Shut Down/Sleep problem is still there.

Can anyone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It worked for me too!!!!

DaveyK, I really am extremely grateful to you for finding the solution to this problem.  Thank you!

I can now get on with some serious computing, until the next bug comes along!!

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

I too have the same problem on an HP17-E0404S, one month old.  I applied the Bios update by itself and noticed that it would not power down correctly right afterwards.  I have since applied all other pending updates since then, hoping one of the others might correct the problem, but not so.

Also noticed that while it was in this attempted power-down state with the power button and Wifi leds still on, the computer was left sitting somewhere around two hours and it consumed 90% of a full battery charge.  I did not notice the fan running, but it had to be doing something moderately power-intensive to consume battery that quickly

HP Recommended
Thanks DaveyK. It's sort of comforting to know I'm not alone! I did wonder if the BIOS update had something to do with it and I assume the previous BIOS settings can be restored, but this where I get out of my depth and definitely need professional guidance. Having scoured the Internet I have picked up some of the horrendous problems that can result from playing with BIOS settings!
HP Recommended

I have discovered how to do a BIOS rollback.  Does anyone know if that is worth trying and could it cause any other problems?

HP Recommended

Alansandal, Is the method you have found to rollback the Bios something you can easily post here?  If so, I would like to make note of it for possible future use.

I tend to think of the Bios rollback as even more scarey than applying the update in the first place.  However, if this problem is not eventually addressed by HP, I might want to give it a try.  For the time being I think I will just put up with the messiness of waiting for Windows shutdown to complete and then doing a hard power-down.  Surely, HP monitors these things and is already hard at work on the problem as we speak.  🙂  Don't you think? 

If you should work up the nerve to try the Bios rollback, I would definitley like to know how that goes.  🙂

HP Recommended

DaveyK, this is how to rollback the BIOS on my HP Pavilion running Windows 8:

Settings>Change PC Settings>General>Advanced Set Up/Restart Now>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>

UEFI Firmware Settings>Restart to change UEFI settıngs>F2>HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI>

Firmware Management>BIOS Management

At this point you will be presented wıth the following options:

BIOS Update

BIOS Rollback

Main Menu

When I reached this point, I'm afraid I chose Maın Menu!  Like you, I was rather hoping this problem would be addressed by HP.  Indeed, it would be good if one of their experts could joın this discussion and give us some help.  If I do pluck up the courage to do the rollback, I'll let you know the outcome.

HP Recommended

Noticed this other post that seems to be related to this problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/bios-overheating/td-p/3095607

HP Recommended
Thanks DaveyK. I still live in hope that a Windows or HP update will come along that will solve the problem, but right now I'm in the frame of mind that if it ain't (totally) broke, don't fix it!
HP Recommended

Hello ,

I have a HP pavilion 15-n003tx notebook with Windows 8 OS. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and I see that nb has a terrible problem with the sleep mode. It does not wake up from sleep and I need to use the hard reset.

The specs of my nb are available here

http://www8.hp.com/in/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5422964#!tab=specs

Its a serious issue and I have tried trouble shooting available in the links that were specified by above as well as

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935

Nothing helps. Please help me tackle this issue  :smileysad: at the earliest ... Anyone gotta fix ?

HP Recommended
Surely someone out there has a solution to this apparently common problem. Don't be shy! We need your help!!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.