Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

That seems to have done the trick. I had to go into Program Files > Synaptics > SynTP and then paste the files into there, but now I'm yielding the same results you are. Touchpad and gestures are working normally, and I get the same version warning/evaluation copy notice in the software. I'll run it like this for a bit and come back with any findings.

Thanks again for your help!

HP Recommended

Cool deal!  I just installed the new drivers, copy/ paste the drivers and so far all is working as it should!  

Maybe HP will get with it and create new 'Official ' drivers  for others who might have this problem.

@epayson85 -  have you tried using just the display (w/o keyboard) to check if the Touch screen stops working at any time also?

Thanks for all your help!

HP Recommended

Well, after about a day of usage I'm sad to say that the update from the Synaptics website didn't entirely fix the problem. I had one complete touchpad freeze-up yesterday that required the tablet to be removed from the keyboard in order to get it working again. I also had a touchscreen freeze that required the tablet be put into sleep mode and turned back on, as well as a number of touchpad freeze-ups that recovered after a few seconds or so.

I've had the touchpad completely lock up on me three times in the past 30 minutes of usage today, as well, so I think it's safe to say this isn't really a solution for the problem.

It seems the method of copying and pasting the x64 folder contents merely updates the software for the touchpad, and not the driver itself, as the driver version remains the same in the Device Manager. Is there any way to force install the driver?

HP Recommended
Sorry to hear that. I have been having good luck with it so far, no lock ups at all. All functions working. Hopefully it stays that way.
HP Recommended

Yea that is odd because I haven't had any lock ups either.  Other than everyonce in a while it will lock up for a second or 2 but it  comes right back. This is again only while doing something cpu intensive or bringing up a webpage with lots of animated ads.   What are you doing when it locks up?  What is your time delay in the microsoft device settings?  

Delay Settings -

Change PC Settings(just like to turn off the driver signing) > PC and Devices > Mouse and Touchpad > Touchpad  I have mine set to "No delay always on".  Then I turned my smartsense back on to the lowest setting so that when I type the touch pad stops working until I stop typing again.

I can tell you that there is a driver that gets updated during the process and it isn't only the software.  I have no idea what it is that gets updated though.  Following the steps I gave, before going into safe mode and copying the 64bit folder, if you open the old software it opens and gives you an error.  The error is that the driver version and the software version do not match.  You click ok and the software does open, but the profiles don't work correctly.  In it you still see that the driver version is the new updated version.  By copying and pasting the software it updates it so that it works but then we just get the evaluation errors.  

I have tried forcing the drivers on the specific mouse hardware in device manager but it does not work.  Once it went through but the touchpad failed to function.  A second time it caused me to blue screen and have to reboot.  

HP Recommended

Do you mind posting step by step on how you fixed this problem please. From where did you download the new driver and i didnt understand what you did after that please help!!!

HP Recommended

I still get intermittent lock-ups using this fix. I think I've figured out what's going on here, as well.

It seems that updating the driver version, and then copying and pasting the software folder merely updates the software version. I completely uninstalled the driver and checked the box to delete the driver as well, and then proceeded to disable the signed drivers, and reinstall. 

The driver installer quickly jumps to install completed, and says that the driver was successfully installed, but it appears the driver never applies to the touchpad, as navigating to Device Manager and checking the driver version after a reboot still shows that the Synaptics driver is not applied. 

So it appears that, in the process of installing the old version, installing the new driver, and then copying and pasting the software over, Windows merely rolls back the driver to the previous version (since it is backed up in case of the need for a rollback) and (in your case, as I had to manually install the software because NOTHING was installed via the installer) applies the new Synaptics software instead. This is the reason for the incompatibility message when launching the Synaptics software. This proves that the software itself isn't reading the current driver version when it displays it at the top, either; Symatics merely branded the driver version onto the software's menu. The driver version IS read at the moment you launch the software, though (hence, the incompatibility message).

Regardless, if it's working for you guys, it is likely a software issue. While this method did somewhat improve the functionality of the touchpad, I still have random lock-ups that require me to either touch the screen (new, this wasn't a solution before the fix was applied) or remove and redock the tablet. I also still get occasional touchscreen lock-ups as well that require me to put the computer to sleep and wake it again.

If at all relevant, my model is the HP Split X2 g110dx. It's the higher-end Split X2 that comes in all silver and runs an i5 instead of the cheaper, black and silver i3 version. Perhaps that has something to do with the effectiveness of this fix.

HP Recommended

I am sorry but your theory is flawed.  I already explained that I get the new driver version before copying the software over.  So your theory that the install isn't installing anything is incorrect.  

1. uninstall everything and delete the drivers

2. Install the current drivers from HP

3. Turn off driver signing

4. install the latest drivers from synaptics with the modified INF file

This will result in you having the latest version of the driver 17.0.19 but an error when you open the software.  The software displays the latest driver 17.0.19 but the software does not work any longer due to the versions of the software and the driver not matching.  

5. You go into safe mode and copy the software

6. Now the software opens without errors but tells you that you are using an evaluation version of the software.  It still displays the current driver version 17.0.19.

If that isn't happening for you then you might not have edited the INF correctly.  I have the same exact tablet model as you.  I will say the only difference between yours and mine is I removed an IO board from the keyboard that houses the power, usb, and HDMI.  I replaced it with one from a different model that has the harddrive connection and I put a 500 gig hard drive in mine.  This doesn't connect to the touchpad though so it should make no difference.

HP Recommended

When I try to run the setup from th downloaded synaptics it says "could not find os setup program" Help Please!!

HP Recommended

FWIW, I installed 8.1 on my i3 based Split a few months ago.  HP "recommends" the "HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)".  When I did that last time things started going downhill with my machine very quickly.  It would often take me 4 - 5 boots before I got a successful one.  Usually the Windows 8.1 equivalent of the BSOD would point to "SynTP.sys" or something that led me to suspect the Synaptics touchpad.

I never found a resolution, but I also never saw the issue that you folks are describing either.  Once booted it was fairly smooth, well except that later the wireless stopped working and for some reason MS "Reader" could no longer open PDFs.  Yesterday I did a factory reset.  Today I gave it Windows 8.1 again.  I'm still staying away from the "HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)" update.  I'm interested in seeing if I get the freezing pointer issues that you folks are.

Thanks for all of your hard work, and yes, it would be great if HP and Synaptics could come up with a solution for the touchpad driver because I think it's pretty clearly not working appropriately.

My first post here.  Nice to meet you folks...

KO

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.