Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi. I bought an HP Pavilion G6 series laptop (LX273EA#ABU) last year and it has stopped loading properly. When I click on 'Repair (recommended)' I get an error messaqe saying 'REM couldn't detect 2 HDDs'. I have tried starting in safe mode and it won't work.

The laptop is two months out of warranty, and the only support option I have found is a £30 phone call with no guarantee of help. Any input would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Michael McDonald

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome Michaelmcd85.

The 305 error indicates that the hard drive is failing. You will need to replace the hard drive.

This is an easy repair so I will provide the information you'd need to repair it yourself. This is your Maintenance & Service Guide. It contains the information on how to disassemble the notebook. The guide also contains the information which will allow you to pick out a replacement hard drive.

If you don't want to repair the notebook yourself you can contact HP Support directly at 1-800-4474-6836 if you're in the US/Canada. If you're in another country you'll need to first visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

I hope this information is helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Hello Michaelmcd85. It sounds like you may be experiencing a hard drive problem. Luckily HP has built in tools which will allow you to test the hard drive without needing to boot into an operating system.

Follow the directions outlined in this document and post the results.

I will await your response; have a great day!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

Hi Michael,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( usually f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run a test on the Hard Drive.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies. I hit F10 and ran a hard drive test. It came up with memory full (305). I had uploaded a lot of data shortly before it started failing, but it definitely shouldn't have exceeded the capacity. I also ran a memory test, which passed.

Thanks in advance

Michael

HP Recommended

You are very welcome Michaelmcd85.

The 305 error indicates that the hard drive is failing. You will need to replace the hard drive.

This is an easy repair so I will provide the information you'd need to repair it yourself. This is your Maintenance & Service Guide. It contains the information on how to disassemble the notebook. The guide also contains the information which will allow you to pick out a replacement hard drive.

If you don't want to repair the notebook yourself you can contact HP Support directly at 1-800-4474-6836 if you're in the US/Canada. If you're in another country you'll need to first visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

I hope this information is helpful.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. I went through all the steps you explained and after I ran Hard Disk Self Test, I was given code 303. What does that mean?

HP Recommended

Hello splashgll. Error code 303 indicates there is an issue with your primary hard disk. Since you are experiencing a hardware issue, I would contact HP technical support. Their options will be based on the warranty status of the computer. If you do not have this information, you can locate it at this website: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/wc/home?ac.admitted=1384280905804.876444892.199480...

You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi, I am facing the same issue.. When I ran the Hard Drive scan, It passed the initial scan and failed the other.. I have lot of information saved in the Hard Drive. How can I recover the data present in my Hard Drive ?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.