System restore hangs (2911 Views)
Top Student
nair10
Message 1 of 6 (2,911 Views)

System restore hangs

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 notebook (DV7-4069WM) which hasn't given me any trouble in the one year that I've had it. However following some recent automated updates, I began receiving 2 messages on starting up the system viz. 'mom.exe application error' & 'HPWA_Main.exe application error'. After researching these a bit I uninstalled the AMD Catalyst console and HP Wireless Asst which resolved these issues. However prior to this I had unsuccesfully tried to perform a system restore several times (having never tried it on this notebook before) and the process seemed to hang each time at the 'Initializing' stage for hours on end. The only way to get out of this would be to shut down the computer with a long press of the power button.

I have since tried to get system restore to work properly (just in case I need it in the future) through various means eg. through safe mode, turning my anti-virus off, activating the Volume shadow copy under the Service settings, etc & nothing seems to work. I would be grateful for any advice on how to get restore to work again!

My notebook details:

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II N830 Triple-Core Processor, 2100 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 3 Logical Processors

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.27, 24/03/2011

Thank you!

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 2 of 6 (2,905 Views)

Re: System restore hangs

Hi,

Have you tried to run the sfc scan. If not, run it once and check:

To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

You can also run  cleaner program like CCleaner to remove unwanted files. This problem sometimes may occur after Windows 7 SP1 is installed. After running sfc /scannow and cleaner program if it still doesnt work then do a clean boot and try system restore again.

How to do a clean startup: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
Top Student
nair10
Message 3 of 6 (2,900 Views)

Thanks for your input. Yes, I did try those methods as well (Sorry I forgot to add that in my initial post). The sfc scan result stated that 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any  integrity violations'. On trying the clean boot, I get the same result with system restore i.e. it still hangs indefinitely in the 'initializing' phase.

Any further advice would be much appreciated!

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 4 of 6 (2,889 Views)

Hi,

What anti-virus is installed on your computer? Is it Norton?

Type Eventviewer in the start search and look for any errors related to system restore. Expand Windows Logs then click on Application. Look for Errors if your find any codes post it here or search in Google for that Error codes

Also try cleaning old restore points and disk cleanup. Make sure that there is not malware. Run malware removal programs like Malwarebytes in Safe Mode with Networking after doing a clean boot.

If none of these help then try doing system restore from Advanced Boot Options.Its better to use System restore from Advanced Boot Options using the recovery or the OS dvd.Running the repair or sfc scan from from Advanced Boot Options using the dvd will also help because it'll overwrite any corrupted files.

Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
Top Student
nair10
Message 5 of 6 (2,867 Views)

In the event viewer the errors I get are 2: the first is termed system restore (id 8204) and restart manager (id 10007). I performed a disc clean up and deleted previous restore points, and malaware bytes in safe mode didn't show any problems.. Unfortunately i'm having even more trouble since then.. As soon as I start up and the home desktop screen appears the system hangs & i'm unable to do anything except shut down using the power button.. help! !
Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 6 of 6 (2,849 Views)

Hi,

In this case what i could suggest is to run a full hard drive test first. If that passes then the quickest and the best solution would be to backup all your information and then do a system recovery. If system recovery from the recovery partition also doesnt help then you may have to use the recovery dvd to reinstall it. I am sure you have already thought of that before and aware how to perform it. Still for any guidance you can refer the links below:

Here is link with the steps to perform a factory reset:

Note:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation