Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

My Laptop is an HP Pavilion With Windows 7. Last night i felt for a few min and when i came back the mouse was frozen. im not able to move it of click on anything. what do i do? please HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay be sure to perform a hard reset to release the stored energy from the notebook. Perform this by:

1. unplugging all accessories and the power cord.
2. Turn the notebook over and make sure that it is turned off.
3. Remove the battery
4. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds which releases the energy
5. Re-insert the battery, plug in the charger and turn it on.

Could you also provide me with a model and product number of your notebook? So that I may look into this further to try and provide you with more helpful instructions.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
***Say Thanks! by clicking the White Kudos star on the left.***
**Help others find solutions by marking my answer'Accept as Solution'if it solves your problem.**

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

Are you able to hold down the power button in order to shut it off?

**Help others find solutions by marking my answer'Accept as Solution'if it solves your problem.**
HP Recommended
Yes Iam..
HP Recommended

Okay be sure to perform a hard reset to release the stored energy from the notebook. Perform this by:

1. unplugging all accessories and the power cord.
2. Turn the notebook over and make sure that it is turned off.
3. Remove the battery
4. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds which releases the energy
5. Re-insert the battery, plug in the charger and turn it on.

Could you also provide me with a model and product number of your notebook? So that I may look into this further to try and provide you with more helpful instructions.

HP Recommended
It Worked Thank You So Much! I'm So Glad You Could Help Me Out! =D

Would You Still Like To Know The Model And Product Number?
HP Recommended

Yes please. I am glad that I could help, if you think that this issue has been solved please mark it solved. Hit the kudos button if you would like.

HP Recommended

I realize this is a rather old post but I wanted to at least chime in as I have been having the same problem including keyboard, in short. There are plenty of extenuating circumstances leading leading up. I have been searching the web now for 4 days straight and haven't been successful in a resolution after trying everything including your solution (not in my case) and I am baffled and extremely frustrated to say the least. If i get a reply, which I sincerely hope I do, I can provide the details.

The mouse and keyboard both freeze once the computer (Pavillion dv6 3225dx Entertainment Notebook, Windows 7) reaches the sign in screen. I can sign in because I have a fingerprint scanner but from there, I'm 100% dead in the water. Everything works while in recovery/repair ONLY. Please help!!! At this point I feel like the only solution would be to do a total format and new install which I really do not want to do. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer...

HP Recommended

Hello gtzonone.  I understand you're having a simliar issue with your keyboard/mouse freezing.  You've already tried the hard reset, but have you tried any other solutions?  How long has this been going on?

You stated that the mouse and keyboard work fine in the recovery menus.  To me this indicates a software problem instead of a hardware problem.  So try doing a Microsoft System Restore first.  This way it will only restore the needed drivers and system files.  Your personal files should be intact.  However, back up anything on your desktop as this will be reverted as well.

To perform a Microsoft System Restore do the following.

1. Reboot the notebook and tap F11 until the HP Recovery Manager begins to load
  2. Select "Microsoft System Restore" option under the "I need immediate help" section.
  3. Select an earlier point and restore the operating system to that time.
  4. Attempt to boot into Windows and post the result.

I hope I have been helpful!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response! I have tried, I think, everything. I reposted here for details: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Frozen-touchpad-and-keyboard-on-HP-Pavil...

One thing I forgot to mention in that post is that I DID try a restore of the most recent point prior to the issue and it did not work. I think now that I should have tried it again at an earlier point but didn't and I did that from the repair module obviously since I couldn't do it anywhere else. I have tried since to do another but the restore points have disappeared.

HP Recommended

I'm having a recurring problem with a relatively new laptop (6mos old).

Everything works fine, but every once in a while I lose the ability to click (either by tapping the touch pad or by clicking the button). I can still move the mouse pointer.

I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and use the tab to restart the computer and everything works fine once I restart...but it's a real hassle.

Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?
(It has happened when playing Age of Mythology (the first time it ever happened) but now it happens when I'm just surfing the web on Chrome).

Thanks so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.