Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hey mcn311, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with your touchpad not clicking. These are classic symptoms of an outdated driver.

I wish I could provide you with a link directly to the latest touchpad driver but I'll need your product number to know which one to link you to. Here are the steps to find your product number. FN + ESC is the quickest way to pull it up. 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

Product # is B4T70UAR#ABA

I also get frequent "Shockwave has crashed" errors...related to my clicker?

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Here are a couple of drivers that may help your issue.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver version 15.3.29.0

BIOS version F.24

Download and install those drivers. Then use your computer as you normally would for a coulple of days or long enough to know if you're still having the freezing issue.

Does the shockwave error happen consistently when you have a touchpad freeze?

HP Recommended

The shockwave crash and mouse clicking fail don't seem to be related.

Shockwave seems to crash whenever a tab has been open for a long time...or when I open and close my laptop with tabs still open. I never saw such an error on my old laptop and now it happens a lot.

The mouse clicking hasn't happened in a week, so I'm taking my chances. Downloading new drivers makes me nervous (of changing something basic). It's not the entire touchpad, just the clicking function.

HP Recommended

I understand, although, I don't believe it would have any adverse effects. If the issue reoccurs and you decide to update it, let me know what the results are. I'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

HP Recommended

My laptop is brand new and the touch pad freezes sometimes and i have to put it in the sleep mode to get it to work again.

Will you be able to suggest any drivers that are going to fix the problem?

product number is : C3Q25UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hey Tara_11, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with the touchpad. Thanks for providing your product number!

Do you have or have you plugged in a USB mouse (wired or wireless, either one) at any point when it started freezing? There is a setting that disables the internal touchpad anytime a USB mouse is plugged in. If that's the case, let me know and I'll guide you through disabling that setting.

There are a few other things you can check/try. 

First, your current Synaptics (touchpad manufacturer) driver version. To check that:

1. Press Windows key + X

2. Click 'Device Manager'

3. Expand 'Mouse and other pointing devices'

4. Double-click on Synaptics TouchPad (aka ClickPad)

5. Click the 'Driver' tab

6. Let me know what version number is shown there

7. Click the 'Uninstall' button

8. Click 'Restart Now' when prompted 

Allow the computer to restart. During the restart, Windows will detect and reinstall the missing driver. This should correct any glitches as long as the driver is up-to-date. That is why I need to know what version you have. I'll compare that version with the latest available on your Driver page. If you need an update, I'll link you to it.

Also, I'll need to know your current BIOS version. You can find that by pressing FN + ESC. Look for 'F.##' and let me know what that is. I'll do the same with it to make sure you have the latest BIOS version as well.

HP Recommended

version number is 16.2.10.12

BIOS: F.24-10/29/2012 (087E120014345910001620120)

Other than touchpad freezing, sometimes i can't use the touchpad to scroll up and down the page instead i have to use the bar on the right side of the page to manually click and drag the page up or down. in this case the touch pad is not frozen it doesn't scroll the page. Hope it makes sense. any solutions to that?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Ok you've got a couple of updates. Go ahead and install these below.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver version 16.5.3.3 - Restart if prompted to do so.

BIOS version F.34 - During the installation, your computer will restart on its own. Allow it to restart and get back to the Start screen. 

Once both of those are installed and you're back at the Start screen, test the touchpad for a few hours (or however long it usually takes to freeze) and try the scrolling issue you mentioned. Let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help. I haven't had those issues for a few days now!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.