Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I can not use pad to the touch anymore please help

HP Recommended

Left touch pad key is not lifting back up all the way. It stays down on one end of the key. Often it opens multiple tabs on the internet at the same time. (12 or 15). It also will scroll down or to the right on it's own.

Help a novas. 

HP Recommended

Cursor jumps around as I type. Must use external keyboard to keep from going insane.

I recently bought new laptop: HP Pavilion dv7-6b78us (aka dv7-6178).  I had read somewhere about other users having same problem, but I figured they were probably being clumsy or something.

But nope. Seems to be a consistent problem with some HP laptops. IF the Touch Pad is involved in this problem, I don't know. Probably.  I sure would like to find a fix. I like typing into the laptop and don't want to always have to use another keyboard!  I prefer cursor to remain on the line I am typing into and NOT JUMP 10 lines above when I least expect it. (My older Vista laptop does not have this issue.  Please HP, send us a FIX!!)

HP Recommended

I have recently bought a HP DV7 laptop, product number QG732EA, as my last HP laptop was on its last legs after 7 years. I love the backlight feature on the touchpad but sudden;y ;ast night it went off and will not switch back on...help please

HP Recommended

Hey DrHypnosis...

Welcome to the forum!

You probably hit the "FN" key + the space bar at the same time.

It is a toggle switch.  It turns that nice white light on/off.

Using and Configuring the ClickPad

Have fun with that new dv7!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you appreciate the help…

Please Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thank You"!

Is it Solved? Make it easier for other people to find the Answer:  

Please Mark my PostAccept as Solution” to say "Yes!"

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you can receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt reply Dragon-Fur, I have tried using the FN+spaceaothing happens.

HP Recommended

Something is "stuck"... or ?

Pressing and holding the FN key (next to the Ctrl key) and then pressing the space bar should turn that while "surround" light on/off/on...

I assume the TouchPad still works, yes?

In order of best options:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 1:

Hard Reset:

Sometimes all you need to do is kick the computer.  This method works for a variety of connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Disconnect all external devices first.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reinstall only AC power for first startup ** See Note
  • Power on - Log in
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery.

** Note:  If time is short, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

Reference:

Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2:

Update / Reinstall the Driver

How long have you had that dv7?

There has been an update to the driver in November 2011...

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion dv7-6b51ea Entertainment Notebook PC

See Category

Driver - Keyboard, Mouse, and Input Devices

Synaptics TouchPad Driver

You should be on version 15.3.11.0

If you are not, you could try updating that driver.

If you are on the correct revision, it is possible the driver has "corrupted" and still needs to be reinstalled.  Drivers do this.  It is normal, it is inconvenient, but it is normal.

IF you have an external mouse,

• you could try downloading the driver from your website,
  • then delet your Synaptics driver from your Device Manager (Right-click)
  • Reinstall the Synaptics driver from the downloaded driver

Do not do delete the Synaptics driver until you have that external mouse connected... You can see why that would be a very bad idea:  Once you delete your Synaptics driver, that TouchPad is going to be disconnected until the Driver is reinstalled.

==========================================================================

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

When you appreciate the help…

Please Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thank You"!

Is it Solved? Make it easier for other people to find the Answer:  

Please Mark my PostAccept as Solution” to say "Yes!"

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you can receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
I have only had the laptop a few weeks. The touchpad works and when I switch the pad off the light comes on just not the white light when the pad is on.
I'm not on the computer at the moment as I have gone to bed. I will try your suggestions tomorrow and feedback to you. Thank you very much for your help.
HP Recommended

Understood..  Had a user who didn't PRESS HARD on that upper left corner hard enough to turn the TouchPad on/off... Now I sometimes double check just in case.  Smiling.  That light may well come back after the Reset.

Later...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your advice Dragon-Fur. I tried the hard reset - no joy. Then I deleted the driver and reinstalled it. The version of the driver, both before and after re-installation is 15.3.29.0. Still not working

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.