Question

Top Student
Nicmanity
Message 1 of 9 (3,344 Views)

USB Ports Not Working!!!

Hey guys, i have a dv6746ca laptop and none of the usb ports are working INCLUDING my mousepad and been searching ways to find a solution to this. From what i know i believe its a usb port error code 19 whatever that is.....

Ive tried turning off the laptop, unplugging all battery sources and wait for 20minutes or more and turn it back on and nothing has changed. i also tried going to device manager/USB serial controllers, right clicking, uninstalling, and then reboot. still nothing. i was thinking reformattng everything BUT i heard that i need a disk from hp of some sort if i were to delete everything on my hard drive. 

Do you guys know the answer to this? thank you for reading!

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 2 of 9 (3,341 Views)

Re: USB Ports Not Working!!!

[ Edited ]
Top Student
Nicmanity
Message 3 of 9 (3,309 Views)

[ Edited ]

its windows vista btw, the first link you sent me was kinda confusing somewhere in the middle part of the steps

Click on the Start button.
In the search box of Windows Vista, type regedit and click OK or press the ENTER key.
Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
expand folders until you reach the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class. 
You should see a long list of subkeys open up under Class
You are looking for these class guid
36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000 
Click the registry sub key corresponding to the device's Class GUID
Right-click on UpperFilters and choose Delete.
Choose Yes to the " Deleting certain registry values could cause system instability. Are you sure you want to permanently delete this value
Repeat the LowerFilters value
Close Registry Editor.
Restart your computer.

at 36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000 i got lost im at the folder for 36FC9E60..etc.. and tells me to click the registry sub key corresponding to the devices class GUID. What are upperfilters and lowerfilters?  From what i assume, the 36FC9E60 is the class GUID. do you know any of these?

I'll also provide a link to where im stuck at http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/usbnotworking.png/ 

(THE IMAGE YOUR LOOKING AT IS MY OTHER COMPUTER TO SHOW YOU WHERE IM AT CANT DO IT ON MY LAPTOP BECAUSE THE MOUSE/USB ARENT WORKING)

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 4 of 9 (3,299 Views)

[ Edited ]

Don't do any more editing, please! I will get back.

If it were a rattler. . . .

I'm back! Please goto: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices Run the scan.

Let me know.

Top Student
Nicmanity
Message 5 of 9 (3,287 Views)

nope link you sent me didn't work. downloaded and then open it says

Troubleshooting cannot continue because an error has occured

We're sorry but the program encountered an error and can not continue. Please try again later. 

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 6 of 9 (3,279 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices 

Try it again, okay?

If it doesn't work again, boot into bios and connect an external keyboard. The keyboard should work if it is a win issue.

Top Student
Nicmanity
Message 7 of 9 (3,244 Views)

nope didn`t work

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 8 of 9 (3,234 Views)

[ Edited ]

Okay, so you connected an external keyboard, booted into bios, and the keyboard didn't work? It sounds to me as if your laptop's problem has just became a hardware issue. . . . Sorry. There's nothing else to do except. . . Is that laptop still under warranty?

I have three years warranty left on this laptop and two on the other twin.

Top Student
Nicmanity
Message 9 of 9 (3,220 Views)

no warranty on this laptop its like 3-4 years old and im sure the warrranty expired. I'll try the boot into bios thing again i really dont want to pay to get it fixed, very expsenive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation