Question

Honor Student
lovedrunkgeek
Message 1 of 3 (143 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unknown Power on Password on a Compaq nc6230

I have a  Compaq nc6230 that I bought from a used elextronics store but there is a power on password and i have no clue what it is. I have  looked for the CMOS battery and can't find it please tell me how to fix this asap!  thank you

Teacher
Bruce_T
Message 2 of 3 (100 Views)

Re: Unknown Power on Password on a Compaq nc6230

Hello lovedrunkgeek... (great name :smileylol:)

I'm sorry you're having this issue with your nc6230.

You might want to refer to the Maintenance and Service Guidefor the nc6230 for issues like this.  In particular, section 1.2 ("Resetting the Computer") has the following:

If the computer you are servicing has an unknown password, follow these steps to clear the password. These steps also clear CMOS:

1.Prepare the computer for disassembly (refer to Section 6.3, "Preparing the Computer for Disassembly," for more information).

2.Remove the real-time clock (RTC) battery (refer toSection 6.24, "System Board," for more information on removing and replacing the RTC battery).

3.Wait approximately 5 minutes.

4.Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.

5.Connect AC power to the computer. Do not reinsert any battery packs at this time.

6.Turn on the computer.

All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.

If you're unwilling to do this, you can contact HP support for your country or region; they can advise you on the proper channel for having the laptop serviced.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the Kudos star!
DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

* If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
* If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!
Honor Student
lovedrunkgeek
Message 3 of 3 (95 Views)

Re: Unknown Power on Password on a Compaq nc6230

omg thank you sooooo much if this work you are my hero and thanks for the shoot out to my name its because i'm inlove with a boy at school !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation