Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I tried to upgrade the ram in my wife's old lap top  after installing a new hard drive, dating all drivers and updating bios.  Here patrician model doesn't accept the 2GB upgrade only accepts upgrading 1 256 chip to 1GB. So after all updates I installed a 1 GB DDR RAM PC 2700 2.5 V CL 2.5  200 pin 333MHz chip.  Bios recognized the upgrade and it worked for a couple of minutes and crashed. I started  it back up and went to safe same thing.  Started back up went in bios loaded factory defaults and tried again.  This time it crashed and I couldn't get any where so I put back in old chip and still couldn't do anything so I reloaded XP operating system and had to do all those **bleep** updates again.  Every thing working properly accept one on the Microsoft service pac updates creates an issue with the wifi connection.  I would like to fix that and I also want to upgrade the ram.  HP Pavilion zv5220us serial #CDN42300FP  Product #PF143UA#ABA. The new hard drive I installed was the same as the old one 60GB  420RPM.  The only other hardware that I added to it is a key board and a laptop wireless mouse.  The only added software is student office 2007  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

HI,

The RAM Specs you provided is compatible with Notebook PC. However, the RAM Should be Non-ECC (Error Correction Code), and Non-Buffered Low Profile Card. 

If the RAM Module meets the requirement, install the BIOS update from the URL given below.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp30001-30500/sp30397.exe

Check if the new RAM works fine upon restart. 

About SP3, you can directly download and install Sp3 from the URL given below.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/3/0/d30e32d8-418a-469d-b600-f32ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929...

Good Luck.

Kiran

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
HP Recommended
The BIOS Flash worked beautiful, My HP zv5000us recognized the 1Gb ram. For anyone reading this comment, I was upgrading my HP laptop the primary ram card located under the keyboard was 256 Mb and would not complete the boot unless that was in it. When I flashed the BIOS using the first link provided it worked perfectly!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.