Question

Tutor
PleaseCanUHelp
Message 1 of 21 (9,285 Views)

Why do I get a High CPU usage message when I'm not using much?

It seems as if the reason my Presario is freezing is that there's "High CPU Usage". A message pops up with a graph. Sometimes I can't see it because it's behind something. I can understand there might be high usage when I'm playing a game, but when I'm writing a letter?

Is there anything I can do to reduce my CPU usage?

Karen Kline

If you have numbness/tingling in your hands/feet, it can mean you are having the beginning of nerve problems that can become serious. Check symptoms of low vitamin B12. (I have traumatic brain damage because low B12 affected the feeling in my feet. I fell and hit my head.)
Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 2 of 21 (9,283 Views)

Re: Why do I get a High CPU usage message when I'm not using much?

Look at the tasks that may be running on your computer.

Right click computer and select manage and the top of the list is scheduled tasks. Browse all of them !

If its something that you dont really need running or use often then disable it or remove it completely.

Also, look at your taskbar and count how many icons there are. Remember that each one of those are a program running.

If you have more than 10 total, I would recommend trimming it down a bit.

Programs often install startup programs that are not needed and can be safely removed or disabled. The windows icons are not usually an issue, so dont worry about the speaker, battery, or network icons, etc.

You can also right click the taskbar and bring up the task manager and look at running processes. Some may not mean anything to you where as others you may recognize and go to the program itself and disable it.

Hope this helps !

Gl

Tutor
PleaseCanUHelp
Message 3 of 21 (9,279 Views)

Hi, thank you very much. My computer is only a few days old, so I didn't think there could be programs running that I didn't need. Now that you've mentioned it, I will check. Thank you, again. Karen

If you have numbness/tingling in your hands/feet, it can mean you are having the beginning of nerve problems that can become serious. Check symptoms of low vitamin B12. (I have traumatic brain damage because low B12 affected the feeling in my feet. I fell and hit my head.)
Tutor
PleaseCanUHelp
Message 4 of 21 (9,278 Views)

Oh, now that I'm looking at the task bar, there are program on the right and on the left. I thought the ones on the left were not running, but there for quick access. Are the ones on the left actually using some of my CPU even when I'm not using the programs?

Top Student
jesses
Message 5 of 21 (9,253 Views)

The ones on the left are not running as long as they are just the icons.  You really need to use the task manager to see what is using the CPU.  Windows can automatically install updates and some, like the .NET framework updates, cause Windows itself to do a background recomile of libraries, which uses lots of CPU, although it's supposed to be "low priority".

Right click on the task bar, select "Start Task Manager", then click on the "Processes" tab and click on "CPU" to see what is using so much.

Tutor
PleaseCanUHelp
Message 6 of 21 (9,242 Views)

Hi Jesses, Wow that is really interesting. At first it only showed a tiny amount of usage. but then I saw that there's an option to show "all users". Since I'm the only one using this machine, I thought there wouldn't be any difference. but when all users are shown, then something called "System Idle Process" is using "97"... I don't know what 97 is... I don't think it's a percentage...

When I start Bejeweled Twist, the Idle thing reduces by more than half...

Bejeweled Twist uses quite a lot, and I can see now that the number is the percentage.

Does it hurt the CPU to use a high percentage?

The description of this computer said you could play games with it. It said something like "ordinary" games, which I thought meant you couldn't play the major games with warfare that a lot of people play.

Last night there was an alert that Thunderbird was using a high percentage of the CPU.

Is there a chance that there's something wrong with this particular computer that so much CPU is used for something like Thunderbird?

Distinguished Professor
Charles001
Message 7 of 21 (9,240 Views)

CPU will be running as long as the computer is "ON". In time slots nothing is running, the computer is "idling" or running the "Idel Process". It is normal for some process to consume high percentage of CPU time if nothing else is running.

Where is that message come from, soulds like you probably downloaded some "scareware".

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Tutor
PleaseCanUHelp
Message 8 of 21 (9,239 Views)

LOL. I try to avoid the "scareware". (I never heard the term before, it's a good one!) The messages are alerts from Norton.

I think the high CPU usage corresponds to the freezes I have been experiencing.

I just looked at other Compaq computers and the one that's $150 more than the one I bought has what I think is the same processor: Intel Celeron 900.

Is the processor the CPU?

Top Student
jesses
Message 9 of 21 (9,237 Views)

As was said, the "system idle process" is just how windows accounts for the CPU basically doing nothing.  It's really for reporting.  In the task manager, click on the "Performance" tab and leave the task manager running there in the background.  You'll then see it graphing the real CPU usage and not the "idle" time (it's in percentage).  Now when Norton pops up one there no so helpful messages, you'll know if it's bogus or not by checking the graph.  It's normal for the CPU to go up and down.  

BTW...if you are playing games when you are getting the CPU warning that is not too surprising.  Web based games can use loads of CPU and odd as it may seem, different browsers will use different amounts of CPU for the exact same game.  So you may try just using a different browser, IE instead of Firefox, something like that to see if it makes a difference.

And yes, the "processor" is the CPU.

Tutor
PleaseCanUHelp
Message 10 of 21 (9,234 Views)

Thanks, Jesses.

I've got the Performance graphs running, and it is helpful. I have a brain injury, so things that are visual are better for me than concepts.

I was surprised to see the CPU usage hit 100% when I opened my computer and it began running.

I like that it starts up quickly, so I guess I have the CPU to thank.

Do you know: if I get an external fan for my computer, will that make it cooler and if it's cooler will it use less CPU?

I'm going to try IE now, and see if it uses less than Firefox.

Only I used to get so much bad stuff when I used IE, that's mainly why I switched to Firefox.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation