Re: "Incorrect" Windows 7 "Low Memory" errors - Shared Video Memory? (276 Views)
Honor Student
pxl-lsg
Message 1 of 6 (308 Views)

Windows 7 "Low Memory" errors - Shared Video Memory?

Hi.

I have an HP 6360b laptop, running Windows 7 64-bit, with 4GB RAM.  I am regularly getting Low Memory warnings, but looking at the task manager shows that, at any given point, I'm using no more than at most 3GB of RAM; mostly it's around 2.75GB.

Capture.PNG

Any idea why this is happening?  I've even had it refuse to start applications, but it's never using more than 3GB of the 4GB RAM.  All I can think is maybe it's related to the shared video memory, which is showing 1.7GB shared.

Capture2.PNG

As it stands my laptop is becoming unusable, as it's coming up with these messages more and more frequently each day, and starting to close applications itself.  Yes, I'm running chrome, which is using a lot of memory, but it's not using ALL the memory.

Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (296 Views)

Re: Windows 7 "Low Memory" errors - Shared Video Memory?

[ Edited ]

edited by erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
pxl-lsg
Message 3 of 6 (291 Views)

My page file is 12GB, and managed by Windows.  My system is not actually running out of memory when this happens, I still have over 1GB physical RAM available that is not being used.

Capture3.PNG

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (279 Views)

[ Edited ]

edited by erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****

Honor Student
pxl-lsg
Message 5 of 6 (278 Views)

Re: "Incorrect" Windows 7 "Low Memory" errors - Shared Video Memory?

You quite clearly haven't read my posts.  My laptop has 4GB RAM.  The amount of page file is managed by Windows; reducing this, regardless of how big Windows itself wants it to be, will not remove spurious Low Memory errors.

My laptop is NOT running out of physical RAM.  Windows claims it is running out of memory, when there is still AT LEAST 1GB unused according to Windows' own task manager.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (276 Views)

Re: "Incorrect" Windows 7 "Low Memory" errors - Shared Video Memory?

[ Edited ]

edited by erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation