Windows HP Probook 4545s hangs whenever it wants
Replies (166)

Intern
Gairk
Message 61 of 167 (708 Views)

Re: Windows HP Probook 4545s hangs whenever it wants

[ Edited ]

Hi liamgood.

Yes I am using the AMD 7420G graphics card. Microsoft Estonia suggested I should roll the old one back, and then update the driver via AMD's website. That's when I found out that the AMD Catalyst Centre manages this driver and sets it to AMD's newest driver . But, I have found that this link from HP gives you a slightly older driver which is more compatible with the HP4545s Probook:

• sp63569.exe – HP AMD Video Driver and Control Panel

from

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=5229466&spf_p...

This will give you driver 13.152.0.0 dated 30/08/2013. This is not the latest AMD driver, but it seems to be the best one for the HP4545s Probook.

At the moment all I get is a small delay in IE11 if I have multiple tabs open. All hangs in any other program such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook are a thing of the past. My children can also run their games like Grand Theft Auto without any freezes.

Have you installed sp63569.exe – HP AMD Video Driver and Control Panel yet?

Tutor
benumb
Message 62 of 167 (672 Views)

[ Edited ]

Based on the Mike-Germany's linked forum post, and somewhat on a whim, I decided to uninstall the graphics drivers so I went to the Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstalled the AMD Catalyst software (it was first in my list of programs), and when prompted for what to uninstall I clicked on the 3rd option (something like Express uninstall everything AMD related), and clicked through to completion. I rebooted, half expecting the machine to grind to a halt half way through the reboot due to a lack of drivers but it didn't. The machine then ran normally for several hours without a freeze. I looked in device manager to see what the effect of removing all those drivers was and, sure enough, there were lots of yellow exclamation marks (next to the USB devices).

Well, I can't run without the USB ports for long so I tried to reinstall the USB drivers but couldn't find them on HP's drivers page for Windows 8.1, they are available on the Windows 7 page so I used them. All seemed to be working fine until this morning when it froze again.

So early days, but potentially the freezing is related to the USB driver. It's not a fair test at the moment as I also plugged in the power, an external monitor, ethernet, usb keyboard and mouse! It's also possible that I didn't wait long enough to determine that the machine wasn't freezing before I installed the USB drivers again, so I'll do some more testing and report back, but thought I'd share that in case anyone else wants to try the same.

Also, reading the docs for the USB filter driver, one of the drivers that I uninstalled, it's supposed to fix an issue to do with power states. I was largely working off battery yesterday when the system was stable, so wonder if the freezes happen more frequently on AC power. When do freezes happen for others? Running on AC / battery? As Gairk suggested, it'd be good to build up a picture of when these freezes occur; if we can deliberately trigger it somehow, it'd speed up testing a lot.

For me, it happens using Notepad++, Chrome and Firefox, I hadn't noticed that AC / battery made a difference to the freezing but I mainly use this laptop on AC, I have the 7420G GPU too.

Finally, something to test when the machine is frozen: on the desktop, try pressing the Windows key and then one of the left/right arrow keys. This usually this snaps the current window to various positions, and still works for me even when the machine is frozen, which is a bit odd because most other screen redrawing doesn't happen.

Honor Student
Mike-Germany
Message 63 of 167 (662 Views)

[ Edited ]

Because of the new AMD drivers (Version 13.12), i have started a new attempt.

I've made the installation in the following order:

- Windows 8.1 Clean-Install

- AMD Catalyst Software Suite (Version 13.12)

- AMD Chipset Drivers (AMD AHCI driver, AMD USB 3.0 driver) from following Link:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%208%20-%2064

- Windows 8.1 updates

- HP updates (using HP SoftPaq Download Manager)

The following programs were not installed:

-HP support Assistant software

-HP protect tools software

-HP Peak Power Manager (not compatible)

The problem could not be solved.

Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 7420G
Processor: AMD A4-4300M APU
BIOS: F44

Greetings from Germany.

Intern
Maemees
Message 64 of 167 (634 Views)

Try not to install Windows 8.1 updates.
Microsoft released new AMD graphics driver in 20.12.2013.
This is compatible with Windows 8.1 and is available only via Windows Updated optional update section.
Intern
Gairk
Message 65 of 167 (621 Views)

[ Edited ]

Tere Maemees :smileyhappy:! So you are also in Estonia? Are you here in Tallinn?

HP Estonia even suggested I should ask Microsoft Estonia how to switch off all driver updates in order to prevent anything updating a basic driver that works. I did what Microsoft Estonia said (before I resolved my computer), but allow these updates again because it’s the AMD Catalyst Center that controls this. I even removed the AMD Catalyst Center, but soon found out this gives a "blue screen of death" so that's when I went to AMD's site and got the latest AMD Catalyst Center which gives the driver from December. However, later I rather took the HP AMD Catalyst Center that gives the driver from August becasue that is what HP give on the HP4545s site.

All I now have is a few seconds delay in IE11 if I use multiple tabs, but I would still like to see a complete solution like everyone else. I wonder when someone from HP is going to jump in here? HP Estonia actually referred me to this site. Have you also been in contact with HP or Microsoft here in Estonia? I also have had Elion Estonia, who are HPs Estonian service provider, role back my laptop to Windows 8, and then update to Windows 8.1, but have been left to find my own way after that. They say that if I want full stability, I should roll back to Windows 8 which I refuse to do. My colleague at work has the same model, and her computer is perfectly stable with Windows 8.

Why do you and everyone else on this thread want Windows 8.1? For me, it mainly has to do with the start button. But I tell you one thing, I'll never by HP again if this isn't perfectly sorted out soon. I have asked Microsoft to put pressure on HP which I trust is happening.

Intern
Maemees
Message 66 of 167 (598 Views)

Tere Gairk, yes, I´m estonian too.

I think that problem is hidden in mixture of Power Plan settings and AMD Graphic Card.

I refreshed Windows 8.1 from Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Update and recovery -> Recovery . After that I installed all latest drivers from here: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?javax.portlet.begCacheT...
Then I let my PC work as usual for 2 days and then installed my programs and updates from Windows Updates. After then no hangings. I dint install nothing from section "Driver - Storage" in HP download site. This gives yellow marks in Device Manager but is more like additional software, not needed for every day work.
This same hanging occur with Windows 8 too. I have tested this version.

I contacted every official (HP, Microsoft USA, Microsoft Estonia, all HP official Estonian service providers) - dead end. All they asked to reffer back to somebody else, so dead triangle. I don´t think they got any good solution, that´s why they refferred you to this page "officially".
I like new WIndows 8.1 because it´s faster speed, new Apps (Söök ja jook) and Start button is smarter than Windows 7´s and I have already got used with Metro style.
Intern
liamgood
Message 67 of 167 (556 Views)

As promised, here is the latest update to my Windows 8.1 issue.  I contacted HP again and explained that the problem still existed even after they replaced and reimaged the hard drive.  There advice was to revert to Windows 8 and they would escalate the problem to Level 2 support, who would contact me in a couple of days and decide on how to proceed.  So, at the moment I am waiting for them to get in touch with me.  I will leave it until Tuesday or Wednesday and if I don't hear from them, I will call again.  Interestingly, when I tried to use recovery to revert to Windows 8 it said there were drivers missing, and I had to use y Windows 8 install disk, which also gave an error, so after checking online, it seemed I had to go into Command prompt (admin) and stop the BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) from running.  After this, all went well and I am now using Windows 8 with no issues, not ideal but at least it works with out freezing.  So here I am, almost 8 weeks, return for repair, ridiculous collection saga with UPS resulting in a lost power supply (new one on the way from HP), numerous phone calls to both UPS and HP support, backing up, reinstalling software and Windows 8.1 the hard way, and still no closer to a solution.  Whenever a solution is found, if ever, I think all of us on this forum should have a celebratory drink of our favourite beverage and toast each other for having tremendous patience and willingness to try all the suggestions to fix this problem.  I'll keep you all updated on my progress.

Intern
Gairk
Message 68 of 167 (545 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone

Give this a try. Maybe this can help you make your Windows 8.1 a lot more stable.

I suggest you make another user with Admin rights to test this on in case something goes wrong, but it worked perfectly for me.

1. Go to Control Panel.
  2. Make sure you set the view in Control Panel to be by Small or Large icons.
  3. Go to the System icon, and select Advanced System Settings.
  4. Select the second tab called Hardware.
  5. Select Device Installation Settings.
  6. Select Never install driver updates from Windows as well as untick Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacturer.
  7. Then go to the Graphics card an disable it. Check and make sure the AMD driver will not be using any resources. This is certainly the way to prevent the AMD Catalyst Center from re-enabling the Graphics card back to the AMD driver. I think we can be quite confident this is the central cause of the freezes and hangs all of us have experienced.

Microsoft Estonia suggested I do this. After I did this, freezes and hangs are a lot less frequent in IE11 and nowhere else on my laptop.

Also, a week or two or maybe even more ago, I went to the Monitor's driver, and did something to get this result. Not sure what I did, but try and either to roll back or unistall whatever you have, so that all that you have is Microsoft's Generic PnP Monitor dated 21/06/2006. The display will probably go blank two or three times when you do this, but when it came back, everything worked for me.   

I cannot say for other users who might use CAD programs etc, but give this a try and let me know if you get better stability.

Good luck.

Tutor
Mitch581
Message 69 of 167 (521 Views)

I need my system for work and have tried everything, but the system would still hang. It didn't matter if I was surfing the internet with IE 10 or Chrome, or not at all, it would still hang at random times. Last night I finally had enough and reloaded Windows 8. I don't have the time to wait for Microsoft to sit back and twiddle their thumbs wondeing what to do next. Microsoft should have done their homework. Waiting three months and countless changes has only resulted in frustration and a totally different opinion of Microsoft.:smileymad:

Intern
Gairk
Message 70 of 167 (509 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is a wildcard. Are HP4545s Probook users alone in this respect?

Google the term windows 8.1 freezes randomly and see what I mean. About 1,050 million results :smileyfrustrated: !

If you go to one of these links it sounds just like what we are discussing http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e8f6eb29-fe4f-4046-a7e7-39a91a32b9f5/windows-81-ran...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation