Question

Honor Student
punapie
Message 1 of 7 (1,722 Views)

an unexpected error occurred. the troubleshooting wizard can't continue

[ Edited ]

HP HDX16t 64 bit

Windows 7 Home Prem

Since I upgraded from Vista to W7 my diagnostic tools don't work - none of them. I always get the "an unexpected error occurred. the troubleshooting wizard can't continue" pop u. I also get a lot of .net framework errors.

I tried using the Microsoft 'Fixit' but got "troubleshooting can't continue because an error occurred"

Should I uninstall W7 and if so how?

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 7 (1,699 Views)

Have you ran all of the Windows Updates on your notebook to make sure you have all of the most recent updates applied?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
punapie
Message 3 of 7 (1,694 Views)

Re: an unexpected error occurred. the troubleshooting wizard can't continue

Yes, updates don't seem to be the issue. But thanks for responding.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 7 (1,693 Views)

Has this been an issue since day one of installing Windows 7 or is it something that just recently started happening?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
punapie
Message 5 of 7 (1,690 Views)

This happened when I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 last year. HP sent an upgrade CD. I tried reinstalling but no help. I also get NET framework issues as well. Tried reinstalling those too.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 6 of 7 (1,687 Views)

You might try uninstalling the .NET framework and see if that helps any of your issues. It could be causing the main issue as well.
Signature
Student
punapie2
Message 7 of 7 (1,682 Views)

I already tried uninstalling with NET Framework cleanup_tool.exe.  Then tried reintstalling each version starting with NF 1 in order up to NF 4. The only one I didn't have errors reinstalling was NF 2. I have logs from the NF Verification Utility but don't know how to attach them here.

I can't help but feel it is related to the W7 Update CD that  HP sent. When the laptop had Vista there were no problems. Am wondering if I should try a different CD. Would HP be willing to replace the old one?  Perhaps that would fix the diagnostic tool errors...

(My laptop is HP HDX16 Premium Series)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation