blue screen blinking cursor (829 Views)
Honor Student
DanDomaratzky
Message 1 of 6 (829 Views)

blue screen blinking cursor

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-313US  It is out of warranty.  When I turn it on - I get a dark blue screen with the blinking cursor in the upper left. I tried to determine if the LED's blink a certain number of times but I can't tell.  If I hit escape to enter the set up - I can run all the tests - run test, etc.. and all seem to pass.

I tried re-seating the hard drive - no help

I can hear the fan on but it doesn't seem the hard drive starts up

Any ideas?

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 6 (826 Views)

Re: blue screen blinking cursor

Turn OFF the Notebook and once its powered ON, keep Pressing F10 to load BIOS screen of the Notebook. In this screen under Diagnostics, run the test on hard drive and memory. Post back the results here.

Also in startup menu there is an alternate way where you can run F2 (System Diagnostics). The instructions can be found at below link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01443317

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
DanDomaratzky
Message 3 of 6 (823 Views)

Hi  Short Hard Drive test completed and went right into long test. I stopped it. Ran memory test and it passed.

Do you want me to run the full had drive test? it says about 49 mins to complete.

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 4 of 6 (815 Views)

I would recommend you to run a long/full hard drive test on the Notebook and also make sure if possible run using both F10 and F2 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
DanDomaratzky
Message 5 of 6 (808 Views)

Ran all tests - both F10 and F2 - all pass

Honor Student
DanDomaratzky
Message 6 of 6 (805 Views)

Correction

In F2 - HP Diagnostics - Start-up test failed

Memory test - passed

SMART check - passed

Short DST - passed

Optimized DST - passed

Battery - Primary - Replace (00000030) Replace Secondary - not installed (00000060)

But i knew the battery was bad

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation