Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

@FrandeAzevedo wrote:

Guys, it would be great if we could read each other's replies in full: I had already mentioned update KB2834140 as a possible fix for this issue and even provided a download link in my previous post. It didn't work for me, but hopefully it will for others.

Hello FrandeAzevedo,

You are right. You had already documented the KB2834140 Microsoft fix. In fact, we can also state that it does not fix our problem either, unfortunatelly.

Here's the sequence which we have observed:

1) When I first reported the igdpmd64.sys blue screen in our HP Pavilion dv7, we removed KB2670838 The problem went away for months

2) We did not realize that Microsoft Update reinstalled KB2670838 together with KB2834140 the same day in November 2013 as the problem was gone.

3) Yesterday (Jan 18, 2014) we loaded Flash Player 12 (we probably shouldn't have). Just after doing that the same blue screen came up again.

4) We have removed again KB2670838 and so far the PC is stable.

My conclusion is that removing KB2670838 is just a workaround. Hopefully Microsoft will provide areal fix soon. We will report the problem to Microsoft support.

Thanks for all your help

HP Recommended
Just deleted offending update phew. Happy days I hopeq
HP Recommended

pavilion dv7 blue screen.  

Time line:

All updates religiously installed.

Installed Norton 360 update about a week ago.

Immediatly started getting blue screens blaming igdpmd64.sys a few minutes after booting.  It seems the blue screen didn't come up as long as I was using the computer, only after several minutes of idle.  Not sure about this.

After a few frustrating days, ran an internet search for igdpmd64.sys.  First item was this HP Support Forum topic.

Deleted Update KB2670838 which cured the problem.  It had been installed in in March 2013

Thank you, thank you, HP Support Forum.

The installation of Norton update may have been a coincidence, I am merely relating the problem's timeline.

HP Recommended

i get blue screen while downloading newest version of norton .. what to do???

HP Recommended

Same problem as the most of people in this topic:

- Suddenly blue screen with igdpmd64.sys driver started to occurs.

- The blue screen only occured when I open Internet explorer and tried to navigate on it.

- After a couple of months I installed Norton Security provided by Comcast. In this case specially, the blue screen occurs after some time to start the machine even if I don't use it.

- I uninstalled the KB2670838 update and all was ok.

- After 2 days I realized that Internet Explorer doesn't exist more!!!!!!!! Maybe the most of people (even me) would be more than happy with that since I prefer use Mozilla or Chrome, but some products like Logitech updates, Skpype and more apps use Internet explorer as part of his interface.

- So i had to reinstall Internet explorer 11, but when I did the update KB2670838 came up again!!

Anyone has new ideas about this and a final solution?

HP Recommended

@newyorkjoey & @2ark0 ,

Did you try the update mentioned under the section "Compatibility issues on certain computers that have hybrid video cards" in the following Microsoft KB article for this error?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

We also have a similar discussion topic on Norton Community Forums:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Help-NIS-Update-Has-Led-To-The-Blue-S...

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

HP Recommended

Don't worry @Norton_Support, I don't think that Norton is the root of the issue, currently I followed this link kb2834140 update and all is working fine for me.

HP Recommended

I uninstalled KB2670838 severall times and uninstalling this louzy windows update, also IE10 or even IE11 will be uninstalled automaticly and internet explorer falls back on IE9.  Manual installing IE11 will also KB2670838 and the blue screens are back again.

HP Recommended

The Norton people keep saying this problem is unrelated to Norton, but I disagree. I am trying to fix my son's HP Pavilion dv7t Quad and when I took it home and tried to use it I noticed that the Norton Internet Security was disabled and I wasn't having any troubles, other than not being able to run the virus scan. So I reinstalled the Norton and immediately got all the blue screens my son had been telling me about. I uninstalled it and tried all these suggestions. He did not have the offending Microsoft Update on his computer so I couldn't uninstall it. When I tried to install the recommended update it was already installed. I uninstalled IE 10 and 11 (which other users say you cannot have without the offending file, yet we do.) Everything is working fine without Norton installed. So I try once again to reinstall Norton and immediately get the blue screen. How can this not be an incompatibility with Norton? Everything works fine until I put that back on. Since I still have about 150 days of coverage I don't want to just ditch Norton, but I don't seem to see any other solutions. 

HP says all my video drivers are fine too. I'm not sure what else to try, but at least I know that it will work if I ditch Norton. 

HP Recommended

I continued to work on the blue screen issue, and I found my solution going to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838. That kb update is not installed on our computer and their fix was already installed so that part didn't help at all.

However, this page has a link for "compatibility issues on certain computers that have hybrid video cards." It listed a graphics driver for the Radeon video card we have and I downloaded and installed it. (Device Manager earlier had found no new drivers, so that had been no help.) Then after installing the driver and rebooting I reinstalled Norton Internet Security, the only program that had been having a problem with the computer, and it would finally run with no blue screens!

So basically it looks like my problem was not that particular kb2670838 Windows Update or IE 10 or 11, but a conflict between Norton and a video driver. The new driver was from 2011 (currently 7/2014) and only about 5 months newer than the one that came with the computer, but it worked, at least so far. Every other time the installation of Norton had caused immediate blue screens, and now it's been running for an hour, including a full Norton scan.

I'm writing this for anyone else who finds that the kb2670838 is not their problem in case it helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.