Question

Honor Student
paulau
Message 1 of 4 (103 Views)

cannot shut down when screen is stuck,please help

hi, 

my envy ultrabook is stuck and i cannot shut down and reboot. i have tried control/alt/delete, esc, pushing on power button without any success. the cursor is still working . please help. thanks,

paul

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (95 Views)

Re: cannot shut down when screen is stuck,please help

[ Edited ]

Lets start with you helping us by identifying your notebook completely.

HP has produced and brought to market more than a thousand different models of notebooks and desktop PCs over the years. It is difficult to help you if we don't know which specific model you own..

Remove the battery and look in the compartment where the battery was installed. You should see a Service tag with printed part number and a product name. Please post the p/n (with all alphanumeric characters) here. If you live outside of North America, it helps us if you post the country of purchase. Also post the installed CPU type. (AMD or Intel)

Don't forget to post the name of the installed operating system if you haven't already done that.

Was here an event, such as a Microsoft or HP update or software installed that happened before this problem began?

Did you change a power option.?

Is the notebook in hibernation or sleep state? ( is the power button flashing)

Remove the battery and then press and hold the power button for more than 4 seconds. It should shut down.

Regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
paulau
Message 3 of 4 (89 Views)

hi enrico,

its an HP envy ultrabook model:4-1101sa. we bought it in the UK. i cant seem to find where the battery compartment is?

paul

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (83 Views)

[ Edited ]

This one is different in that the battery is not easily removable like other types of notebooks.

You should still be able to shut it down by holding the power button for more than five seconds.

have you read this HP document on   lock ups\freezes in Windows 8?

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation