Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

caps lock work in reverse. When not lit, ALL IS CAPS. when lit, all is lower case

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi FrustratedFrank,

Thank you for your response. I hope you had a good weekend.

Have you done all your Windows updates?  Here is a link to the updated driver for Windows 8.1,HP Software and Drivers Pavilion 17,   if this does not resolve the issue, you can roll back the driver in Device Manager. Set auto updates to prompt, before installing.  On restart if you get a prompt to install updated keyboard driver, cancel it.  You can run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI, to test for hardware failure.  You also have the option to do a  system restore or recovery back to Windows 8.Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎 and Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8). Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

HI FrustratedFrank,

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your inquiry, I am pleased to assist you. 

I understand that your keyboard Num Lock is working in reverse.when lit it is in lower case and when off it is caps.

When posting it is very helpful if you provide your exact model and the operating system you are running.How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? 

Please reply with the requested information so I can assist you.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17
<30 days old
HP Recommended
Upgraded to win8.1- may be a mistake
HP Recommended

HI FrustratedFrank,

Thank you for your response.

I could not locate a Pavilion 17 , did you mean Pavilion G7

Here is a link to Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 😎 that should help. You can manually check our support and driver page for Windows 8.1 drivers,but you will need to input your exact model( please see link in my  1st post) and then select the operating system. If you do not see your operating system then HP does not provide the updated drivers.

Have you tried running the built in troubleshooter in Windows 8.1

Press windows key + C to open charms

Type troubleshoot keyboard in search bar and follow  the  on screen prompts.

If you did not mean Pavilion G7 please let me know.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
Sticker on keyboard surface states:
HP Pavillion 17 Notebook PC
HP Recommended
Tried your search charm-TROUBLESHOOT KEYBOARD-

Results: no results found
HP Recommended

Hi FrustratedFrank,

Thank you for your response. I hope you had a good weekend.

Have you done all your Windows updates?  Here is a link to the updated driver for Windows 8.1,HP Software and Drivers Pavilion 17,   if this does not resolve the issue, you can roll back the driver in Device Manager. Set auto updates to prompt, before installing.  On restart if you get a prompt to install updated keyboard driver, cancel it.  You can run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI, to test for hardware failure.  You also have the option to do a  system restore or recovery back to Windows 8.Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎 and Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8). Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

THANK YOU (WITH CAPSLOCK ON/LIT)

At first blush it seems to be fixed. Install 5 "important" HP updates.

Thank You, Sparkles1

HP Recommended
SEEMS OK now, after reboot.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.