dv4-1465dx messing up (246 Views)
Honor Student
edcarpenter
Message 1 of 5 (246 Views)

dv4-1465dx messing up

My gf has a HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx Laptop/notebook and she has had it for a couple of years,but recently, it has been having issues such as overheating/freeze ups/programs stop responding or freeze/lag-major lag/restarting itself or just plain shutting itself off when there has been nothing done to it to cause such things. I've tried countless things,but even though I'm slightly computer savvy, I'm afraid I''m not savvy enough to know just why it keeps doing this. I've tried system restores,defragmenting,cleanups. Decided I would attempt to contact HP via the net to see what could be done, only to find out that I would possibly be charged for the assistance? If someone goes and pays that much for all this hardware/software, why pay for assistance,too? Anyways,back on topic, I need help with this and any advice would be much appreciated,thank you.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (244 Views)

Re: dv4-1465dx messing up

Hi,

Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab, you should find the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.  Run both tests and post back with the results.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
edcarpenter
Message 3 of 5 (242 Views)

Thank you, I will try that now :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
edcarpenter
Message 4 of 5 (232 Views)

I believe the computer is shot, slow down is more frequent and it refuses to allow the diagnostics. It will get about 1/4 through the diagnostic and then it shuts itself off.....probably doesn't help that my gf threw the frigging thing across the room a week ago, while I was at home. She just notified me about that tidbit while I was trying to run the diagnostics.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 5 of 5 (227 Views)

As you say, notebook shuts down in BIOS during diagnostics, probably it is because of overheating issue. The heat sink or fan assembly is cause of problem. In such a scenario, usually you cannot turn on the computer immediately after it shuts down but you need to wait for couple of minutes for the computer to turn ON.

Also, you said notebook is freezing, it can be cause of Hard drive issue on the computer. In the end If the notebook wasnt handled the way it was supposed to be, don't bother repairing it as you would end up paying 250-300$ which would not be a feasible option for you. Instead just go for a new one as this one is already couple of years old.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation