dv7 driver_power_state_failure at shutdown abd BSOD & win7 (950 Views)
Student
AreDeeDubya
Message 1 of 3 (950 Views)

dv7 driver_power_state_failure at shutdown abd BSOD & win7

After selecting shutdown or restart sytem attempts shutdown for 15+ minutes.  Finally a blue screen is displayed (message provided below) and system reboots.

While researching the issue "ntoskrnl.exe" is mentioned but also states that it may be the result of another driver issue.  Has anyone else had a similar issue and achieved a fix?

BSOD Error Message:

driver_power_state_failure

STOP: 0x0000009f, 0x0000000000000004, 0x0000000000000258, 0xfffffA8003D27680, 0xFFFFF8000446D510

Recommends uninstalling/upgrading offending driver/program.  However, I need to know what driver/program.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

Tutor
Ralph_P
Message 2 of 3 (916 Views)

Re: dv7 driver_power_state_failure at shutdown abd BSOD & win7

More than likely the 3D Driveguard is not working correctly. I have the same problem on my HDX 16. This was a botched driver update installed through Windows Update. What you can do is boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver in the Device Manager. This may or may not fix the issue. I had to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows 7 to fix the problem. Needless to say in order to fix it you need to manually install updates by selecting the appropriate option from the Automatic Updates settings.

Student
meekal
Message 3 of 3 (872 Views)

Re: dv7 driver_power_state_failure at shutdown abd BSOD & win7

It seems that this is not a rare situation! I have have these issues for 2.5 weeks now on my Dv7, 9 months old.

The only solution presented by IT people and the Manufacturer is to recover the computer to original settings, which is obviously not efficient.

After much frustration and trial and error, it seems that an Non-Windows 7 Program is to blame. In my case, it seems to be DropBox.

I restored the computer to 3 weeks ago when the problem started, which removed a bunch of updates, an Adobe Prof update and Drop Box. Reinstalled the important updates (had no choice in those since it did so when turning off), and keep trying the sleep to see if working or not (was fine).

The problem occurred after I installed the DropBox software, the sleep button would caus the laptop to freeze, blank screen, etc. I removed it after rebooting and it worked fine.

So, if you don't have drop box, I suggest restoring to a point when it worked ok, then start adding back updates. In my mind, I expected it to be the Adobe update, however, it doesn't seem to be. I will need to inform drop box!!!

Good luck with yours!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation