Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Update: In the six months since I "baked" my two laptops (see above in this thread), both have continued to work flawlessly. They also run MUCH cooler and no longer burn my lap when using them on the couch. I almost never hear the CPU fan now except when running some intense video processing SW. If you are handy with some simple tools, this is well worth a try to fix your HP laptop! Good luck........

HP Recommended

Hello All,

I want to let everyone know that I tried the baking method in the oven and it worked. I was skeptical but it really works. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

mine does the same thing too. I purchased my dv7 directly from HP and within months it started shuting down and charging when it wanted. I tried to return it but because of the cost involved I was stuck with the product. Now I will NEVER buy an HP product, infact I dont even want one even if I get it for free.

Everytime I see an HP pc or add am turned down, I have been telling people not to buy HPs cause they are no good.

HP Recommended
Hello.....I had the same problem and I fixed it. Do not try those crazy method of unscrewing it laptop and fiddling with it, as suggested by other people. It is not a hardware issue but rather a bad driver problem. Here is how I did it successfully.

1. Press the power button. As soon as the power comes on, press ctrl and alt and del together at the same time. Realese those three buttons and then press them again. Do this continuously until you see the hp logo comes on, then stop pressing any button and the computer will boot normally.

If the laptop shuts down after the hp logo comes on, and resets, then do this- repeat the above step, as soon as you see the hp logo, press esc and wait for it to boot normally.

2. When windows have finally booted up, click on "start", "all programs" and select recovery manager.

3. Click next. When asked if you want to restore programs, choose "no".

4. When asked if you want to do a driver recovery, choose yes.

5. Click next, then choose "nvidia nforce chipset driver". Click next.

There it is, after the driver is reinstalled. Your laptop will boot up normally each time.
HP Recommended

That worked!!!  And I was just about to throw this thing out!  You are wonderful!  Thanks so much for your post!

HP Recommended

My laptop have the same problem it turns on and off  by itself. I need help with this please.

HP Recommended

It worked for a while but then ended up dying anyway.  Oh well.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.