Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i have HP Pavilion DV6 notebook. Its F2 key is not working that is it is became short from inside. the key is moving freely but is not working. 

whenever i start the laptop it gives beep sound for abouut 3 minutes and then HP Advanced Diagnostic Screen Opens. I have performed all the tests there and all tests showed Passed. Then on exiting normal Windows opens.

Also the function of reducing brightness doesn't work. So my question is how to rectify the problem. an I disable the particular key, or can I disable keyboard during booting. 

I am unable to use any other Function keys during booting.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello jaydeepbanerje.  I understand your F2 key isn't working properly.

The diagnostics screen is showing up because your F2 key is stuck in an "activated" state.  This is also why it is beeping during boot.

You should first try to use a product such as compressed air to dislodge any debris which may be stuck under the key and causing the problem.  However, you cannot boot a computer without a keyboard of some sort.  So, disabling the keyboard during boot isn't an option.  You could open the notebook and disconnect the internal keyboard.  If you did this it would require having an external keyboard plugged up during boot.  Another option, if debris under the key is not the issue, would be to replace the keyboard.

If you'd like to disconnect the keyboard or replace it I can provide plenty of useful information for you.  I'll need you to provide me with your product number in order to locate it, though.  This document can show you where the product number is located.

If the notebook is under warranty (you can check here) or you don't want to repair the notebook yourself you could contact HP Support directly.  The number for US/Canadian customers is 1-800-474-6836.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.  Have a lovely day!  Smiley Happy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.